Old Whistle Found While Metal Detecting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I was out for the very first time with my son and his metal detector in the garden of his Grandma's house and the very first signal and the very first dig, he finds an old whistle. It was about 8-9 inches down and has been in there at least 40 years, as that is how long his Grandma has lived there. It has several markings on it which ive managed to find a bit of info about. It has L&N.W.R stamped on the side, which we have pinned down to the now defunct London and North Western Railway (1846-1922).

20200905_223048.jpg

With the other images i will upload, i believe i have a date of about 1890 - 1922. As you will also see it has an address.

20200905_223010.jpg

20200905_223120.jpg

The top bit of faded words say The Thunderer Patent. Which i believe "The Thunderer" to be the name of the Whistle.

20200905_223038.jpg

This is the bit i am unsure of. P.Way i believe refers to Permanent Way. Im not a train buff so i don't know, i think it is a standard used for the width of the tracks?

As for the 875, i have a feeling this relates to the locomotive itself. Using this info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNWR_Precursor_Tank_Class

I find this fascinating. Are there any train guru's out there who can shed anymore light onto this? I have emailed the LNWR Society but if anybody can add to this i would be very much grateful... My son is quite excited by this find. Beats finding an old rusty nail that is for sure, which was all we were expecting!

Cheers.

classic33

Leg End Member
Stick my neck out and say 1910-1912

McPherson was only the retailer, not the manufacturer.

http://www.whistlemuseum.com/2017/12/18/black-co-whistle-maker-glasgow-history-whistles-a-strauss/

Is the pea still in it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Thunderers are still made today.

You'll hear one in action every time you watch a football match. :becool:

Nice little find, btw. :okay: IMHO the best bit about history is doing the research and putting together the backstory of an item.

My son would love to have it in a frame with a picture of the original locomotive. That of course may not be possible but its a great story if it is.

Last edited:
With luck there's bound to be something out there somewhere, whether it's a photo (pushing it possibly, given the dates) or more likely an engraving / print. A good place to look for hardcopy resources might be Simon Lewis Transport Books - mainly cars, but I know he stocks train stuff as well.

Alas, on the train side of things I'm of no use. :blush:

classic33

Leg End Member
My son would love to have it in a frame with a picture of the original locomotive. That of course may not be possible but its a great story if it is.
It's a guards whistle, so I don't think it would be tied to an individual locomotive.

I'd wait and see what the response to your e-mail is. You were correct on the permant way part it seems.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Indeed. Either way, i will do something like i said. Maybe a period and line correct picture with the whistle. Certainly has a story to tell.

Vintage postcards might be worth looking up, as the Edwardians tended to send rather a lot of them, and there were all sorts of subject matters available, including travel / railway. Unless a card is particularly rare, they are pretty inexpensive.

tom73

Guru
What a great find and a great way to get into him into social history. Which way more interesting than most of the stuff you they make you learn at school.
Hodson are still very much still going and still make Thunderers the same way. A few ago one train company went back to using them. They found it improved train times. So much so are now widely used by most of the others.
Maybe contact them and see what information they have if nothing else it may help to confirm you're thinking.

Top Bottom