Old Whistle Found While Metal Detecting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think the simplest explanation then is that it must've fallen out of the pocket of someone working at the station as they walked to / from work.

A lot of Victorian / Edwardian companies, be it railway, manufacturing etc provided housing for employees. A bit like Bournville or Saltaire, though not always quite so poncy. Although in the timeframe we're talking about L&NWR were one of the most prosperous companies in Britain.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I had a response today from the LNWR society. I'll copy some of the text from the mail.

"I hope that the following information is helpful. You are quite correct that the markings are for a whistle used by the LNW Railway. Quite how it got into a garden in Lichfield is anybody's guess, although Lichfield is on the old LNWR main line. The company was in existence from 1846 to the end of 1922 when it was amalgamated into the new London Midland and Scottish Railway ('LMS'). By the end of the nineteenth century it was regarded as the largest joint stock company in the world and was very successful.

The other marking on the whistle shows that it was used by the permanent way department, which looked after all the trackwork. The Company was careful about all its property and tended to label everything. The LNWR prided itself on having the best permanent way and advertised its fast trains to Scotland as running on 'dustless tracks'. I have seen a postcard issued by the Company which was a photograph of a permanent way team working on the tracks in about 1905."

As it appears it was likely used by a track worker so would be difficult to pin down to a specific person im sure. I will investigate previous occupants of the property for which it was found to see if that can bring up a link. So the plan now is to frame it with a picture of permanent way workers with a little bit of information about it and present it to my lad.

It's a little bit of history of our own we can share. :okay:

I had a response today from the LNWR society. I'll copy some of the text from the mail.

"I hope that the following information is helpful. You are quite correct that the markings are for a whistle used by the LNW Railway. Quite how it got into a garden in Lichfield is anybody's guess, although Lichfield is on the old LNWR main line. The company was in existence from 1846 to the end of 1922 when it was amalgamated into the new London Midland and Scottish Railway ('LMS'). By the end of the nineteenth century it was regarded as the largest joint stock company in the world and was very successful.

The other marking on the whistle shows that it was used by the permanent way department, which looked after all the trackwork. The Company was careful about all its property and tended to label everything. The LNWR prided itself on having the best permanent way and advertised its fast trains to Scotland as running on 'dustless tracks'. I have seen a postcard issued by the Company which was a photograph of a permanent way team working on the tracks in about 1905."

As it appears it was likely used by a track worker so would be difficult to pin down to a specific person im sure. I will investigate previous occupants of the property for which it was found to see if that can bring up a link. So the plan now is to frame it with a picture of permanent way workers with a little bit of information about it and present it to my lad.

It's a little bit of history of our own we can share. :okay:

this is a great story, you should be proud of your son for saving money and buying something that has probably more than proved its worth. as mentioned up thread, you just wouldnt get this level of involvement from a text book.

best of luck finding more out about this item (i am jealous as i worked for the S and T many moons ago and wish i still had my bits a pieces) and hopefully more items in the future.

EDIT: you seem to have had some luck with getting information but if you reach a dead end here, you could also try the National Railway Museum in York. they have an extensive archive of material and it is very well looked after, you never know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
this is a great story, you should be proud of your son for saving money and buying something that has probably more than proved its worth. as mentioned up thread, you just wouldnt get this level of involvement from a text book.

best of luck finding more out about this item (i am jealous as i worked for the S and T many moons ago and wish i still had my bits a pieces) and hopefully more items in the future.
Thanks. I agree. Reading history can be boring, living it is far more exciting and engaging for a child. We plan to do more of this. Looking at getting permissions for some farm land and perhaps join a club to hopefully build on the interest for him. Who knows what's buried out there?

Thanks. I agree. Reading history can be boring, living it is far more exciting and engaging for a child. We plan to do more of this. Looking at getting permissions for some farm land and perhaps join a club to hopefully build on the interest for him. Who knows what's buried out there?

exactly, its a good way to encourage research/learning too.

as someone said up thread, there are maps from bygone days that are available to help you pinpoint an area that may throw up more recent treasure/ephemera rather than roman gold

im looking forward to more of your sons finds. both material and research.

enjoy

Top Bottom