Old wives/traditional remedies. Any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You know the sort of thing. Nip of whiskey for a cold, brandy for an upset stomach or goose grease on the chest for flu.
Is it a load of old nonsense or do they really work?
Anyone got their own personal recommendations or experiences with them?

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Kiss it better.
Saliva holds someting that cleans and heals.
My wife believes that your own urine has special properties. Put it on cuts and abrasions, swill it around your mouth for gum ailments or even drink it . xx(

classic33

Leg End Member
People suffering the pains of arthritis can whip themselves with nettles, consume nettle soup, or grind nettle leaves into the affected limb.

It sounds painful – but many people continue to swear by this remedy.

tyred

Legendary Member
Sounds good to me:becool:

R (30).jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd love to know what they used in Egypt while i was working there.
Two occasions i felt unwell, one was a explosive case of the trots, i managed through the night without accident and the following morning, told them my predicament and iirc, he gave me an infusion of what looked like cold black tea with all bits in it...cleared me up really quickly.

Another occasion, i was bitten 134 (i counted them) times overnight by mosqitoes, face, neck, shoulders, everywhere. I felt bleugh the next morning and he gave me some infusion with what looked like flower petals in. Again, it seemed to do the trick quite quickly

gbb

Legendary Member
As kids in the late 60s, early 70s, mum had old remedies she would foist on us...
Puss infected wound would have a sugar and soap poultice placed on it, draw the poison out.
Colds or flu, onion put in a pan of milk and heated for a drink

markemark

Über Member
Stay in the pink with ciggies and drink.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
my granddads cold remedy...

Take half of one large brown onion and put lots of white sugar on the juicy onion and leave for a few minutes so the sugar can draw in the onion juice. Add the onion infused sugar to a hot toddy (95% hot water, 5% whisky or brandy) and hand that to the grandchild.

The result is the grandkids never complain to granddad about having a cold ever again :okay:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Cure yer piles with a Brillo Pad.

Old Ma Bunny’s Pile Cure.

Ingredients:
1 large horse radish.
500g saltpetre.

Equipment:
Mixing bowl.
Wooden spoon.
Cheese-grater.
Colander.
Large biscuit-tin lid.
Galvanized steel bucket , with a hole in the bottom.
Safety matches

Method:
Grate the horseradish finely into the mixing bowl. Add the saltpetre and 200 ml of cold water, stir thoroughly and allow to stand for one hour. Strain and place the horseradish to dry in a warm room but not near a naked flame.
When a small sample of the horse radish smoulders if lit, place the remainder on the biscuit tin lid and light, when It is smouldering steadily place the bucket over it inverted to allow the smoke to escape through the hole.
Arrange one’s clothing to expose the “affected part” and sit on the bucket allowing the smoke full access to the “unwanted intruder” and remain seated until relieved.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Arnica cream or tea for bruises. very good.

reminds me of an old hippy called 'Satori'...

me: Hi, how are you?"
them: Oh, I've had to put some arnica under my eyes so no one can tell that I've been crying.
me: Telling people you've been crying kind of defeats the arnica doesn't it.

bloody hippies!

Top Bottom