Oldest bit of kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Locking my bike up outside a cafe on Saturday it occurred to me that I've had my cable lock since some time in the late 1970s (or possibly very early 80s at the latest), making it 40-odd years old. And before any of you sneer that a cable lock will be useless at protecting a bike, I must point out that it has had a 100% success rate. No bike has ever been stolen on its watch.
1667812167807.png

What's your oldest bit of equipment that you use regularly?

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
My Raleigh Router, which was made in 1987 so is 35yrs old. Not owned from new though, so not sure if that counts!

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Come to think of it, this Karrimor stuffsack/bag thing is early 80s. It's not exactly in regular use as its main job is as a storage bag for various other bits of crap but it did get pressed into use last year and performed perfectly. It's so simple, it's just a cylinder with a zip along the length and two straps.

1667814594760.png

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, I have a bike that’s 55 years old, but I expect the op means sundry cycle items, in which case it is probably a STURMEY ARCHER CONE SPANNER like this. Probably circa 1960.

E89CA77C-21B7-4E89-87EC-3826E13E71DF.jpeg

In terms of oldest bit of kit I have owned the longest, probably my Cannondale MTB shoes, 23 years old and counting.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I expect the op means sundry cycle items,
No real rules: Any interesting bits of kit or bikes or anything vaguely bike related that makes you think blimey, that's been around for a while.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm not as old as some of you, :crazy: but I've plenty of tools I've had for about 35 years. Parts of my Ribble are that age too, and most of my best bike is 32 years old. I've similarly aged cable lock too that's only used for securing a wheel or saddle

Alex321

Veteran
I'm not as old as some of you, :crazy: but I've plenty of tools I've had for about 35 years. Parts of my Ribble are that age too, and most of my best bike is 32 years old. I've similarly aged cable lock too that's only used for securing a wheel or saddle

I didn't even own a bike from 1979 (when the bike I had as a student was stolen and I didn't replace it) until sometime around 1990, so hadn't kept anything from before that. Though I know even that is 33 years ago now.

a.twiddler

Veteran
A single stroke pinger bell which was the first thing I bought as an accessory when I took up adult cycling in 1978. It's been on 7 of my bikes and has outlasted similar plasticky ones on my other bikes. Currently on my last remaining diamond frame bike, a Revolution Country Explorer.
P1020687 (2).JPG

Reminds me that I need to simplify the bracketry that has accumulated for bells, lights, computers etc. I've got a Carradice Longflap which gets an occasional airing which is a year or two younger.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I cycled as a child but had my bike stolen from school when I was 13 years old. I didn't cycle again until I was aged 33, in 1989. I will have to think about it, but if I have anything left from then it would be 33 years old - from half my lifetime ago!

It is possible that I still have my old Sidi shoes somewhere. I haven't worn them for many years, after switching to MTB-type SPD pedals. There may be a few old tools left too.

The original bike went to my ex's brother. He had it written off by a mad teenager riding into it after descending round a steep blind bend on the wrong side of the road! :eek:

bluenotebob

Veteran
I carry my Karrimor Hot Rock day bag if I’m out on my bike for more than a couple of hours.

Bought at Black’s Of Greenock in High Holborn in 1983 – it cost around £25.

I’ve walked all over the UK with it plus some long-distance trails in Europe. It saw service on part of the Appalachian trail in Georgia and the John Muir trail in California – plus hiking around Sydney (and southern India).

It’s still in reasonable nick and I reckon it’ll see me out.

Karrimor day bag.JPG

Top Bottom