Oldest bit of kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Garmin's getting on a bit now .....
1667821358037.png

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've stll got a few bits and bobs stored in my late father's old tobacco tins, and he died when I was a baby. Got his old tools back at my mum's house, too.

tom73

Guru
I've a few things of my grandfathers he died in 49 his spade is a joy to use, plenty of my dads tools from over the years inc some of his 1st one as an apprentice in the late 40's. Which he gave me as kid as my 1st tools.
The oldest stuff is from the my great grandfather who was a Cordwainer (shoemaker) he died sometime before the 20's. A mix of tools of the trade like lasting pliers all in a big hand made wooded box. Which over the years has had other stuff added now a right time capsule of odd and ends. Along with a few cobblers feet my dad remembers my grandfather using the tools to repair the family shoes when he was a kid. My great grand father must have been good he was made a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers i've his certificates he was presented with.

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've a few things of my grandfathers he died in 49 his spade is a joy to use, plenty of my dads tools from over the years inc some of his 1st one as an apprentice in the late 40's. Which he gave me as kid as my 1st tools.
The oldest stuff is from the my great grandfather who was a Cordwainer (shoemaker) he died sometime before the 20's. A mix of tools of the trade like lasting pliers all in a big hand made wooded box. Which over the years has had other stuff added now a right time capsule of odd and ends. Along with a few cobblers feet my dad remembers my grandfather using the tools to repair the family shoes when he was a kid. My great grand father must have been good he was made a Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Cordwainers i've his certificates he was presented with.

Any cobbler's awls? ;)

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
My Brooks B17 Professional Standard (or at least I think it is - the 'writing' has worn off)
Think I got it late 1980’s second hand on a Raleigh Record Ace, transfered to my Galaxy later, spent sometime on my Mtb (before I donated it to my son and thought better of him ruining it) - now on my PX Hurricane…
Age unknown- probably broke in now :smile:

Big John

Guru
Numerous long sleeve Helly Hansen thermal tops which I used for running from circa 1984. I wear them now on the bike in autumn/winter underneath my long sleeve jackets. Can't wear the things out. I think they cost a few bob even back then but they're as good now as they ever were. You can't beat a bit of quality 👍

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ah smelly Hellies, I think I may have one or two in the back of a wardrobe somewhere.

Slick

Guru
The only thing I still have from the pair of O'brien Super Cruiser Racers that my mum bought for my brother and I around 82, is the front mounting bracket for the old ever ready light that we got with them. I think the rear light bracket was the type that gripped the frame and ripped all the paint off. Everything else is all pretty modern, compared to that.

Top Bottom