Oldest bit of kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
A map of the Lake District from the 60s, when they still had a railway to Keswick etc. I sold my 1980s road bike in 2002 when I was fully into mtn biking

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The bike I probably ride the most (every weekend in winter, and originally for commuting) has an 84 year-old Sturmey-Archer AM hub, one of very few with a 6 1/4" axle for wider rear spacing. I've had it about 15 years; the original shell was cracked (and 40h), so I put it in an 80s AW shell. Also, the 1930s gear ring design tends to cause slippage in normal gear so it has a later 1950s gear ring. But all the other internals are original. They never need any attention apart from a few drops of oil each month. The bearings have never developed play and it's never been opened up since I rebuilt it. It just sits there and does its job.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Mark I Di2?

I‘m not someone who especially gets attached to gear, which doesn’t mean that I’m buying new kit every other week but for me the pleasure is in the ride rather than what I’m riding.

My oldest bike, a Litespeed Tuscany, dates from 2006 but is a true ship of Theseus. Barring the frame it’s been cut and shut to do everything from credit-card touring to sitting on rollers.

On that topic, my old Elite rollers are probably up there. They’re rusted to buggery, have outlasted two dumb turbos and three smart trainers and I’ll be on them tomorrow morning thinking about something else.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Claud is 40 and still in regular use and on its original and reasonably unworn rims.

I have tools dating back the the 1940s.

My favourite cycling Y fronts are from 1931, and haven't been cleaned since 1938.

ExBrit

Über Member
I have a 1975 Bianchi which I used to think was old until I started reading this thread.

fritz katzenjammer

Der Ubergrosserbudgie
Today’s wrist watch is from 1944, the pocket watch from 1900... just broken in.
EBBEDF88-3701-4993-BD0A-6B62513D518C.jpeg

The touring bike is a 77 model.

74319764-1072-4608-8F4A-DEB0A6EC2A1A.jpeg

Top Bottom