Oldest object in daily use in your home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I also have a horrid blue plastic oval laundry basket that my mum bought probably in 1965. As well as keeping laundry in it, we have used it as a bed for 4 babies when my sister and I visited my mum over the years. They make great temporary baby baskets. I have no idea how I came to have it to be honest. It's really fugly. :laugh:

Old jon

Guru
My maternal grandmother's clock. 1920 ish, one of their wedding presents. It is a Smiths, so mass produced. Still ticking, and Westminster chiming but erratic. It lived on the mantel in the kitchen, which was where folk ate. The scullery was what we would recognise as a kitchen. I replaced the pendulum suspension in the early seventies, then inherited the clock, with a bust suspension, in the middle eighties. It only has two of the three springs usable, which makes it a four and a bit day movement. By, writing this has returned some memories, thanks OP!!

dodgy

I bought a Sony radio/cd player the night before going to the Falklands in 1991 from Dixons :laugh:
It's still going strong, they used to (maybe still do?) make kit to last. Every single feature on it still works, except the illumination on the background of the clock.

Edit to add: The Falklands bit is important, it survived in the hold of a VC20 despite the unenviable reputation of RAF movers (baggage handlers) and 4 months in my room and frequently being used in the crew room for parties. I am very attached to it now :wacko:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Not counting me, it's probably my Harry Quinn fixie that gets me to work. About 1978. The saddle might be slightly older.

I've had a potato masher since 1988 and I still sometimes wear a jumper bought in 1985, when I was 16. I have half-jokingly suggested I be buried in it. I wore it on my first ever date.

Edit: just realised the stool in the porch might be much older. It was made by onetime Director of the National Maritime Museum, Frank Carr, as a woodwork project. He was my ex's great uncle. I saved the stool from the tip pile, sanded off paint splashes and reglued the joints. I sit on it every day to fasten my shoes.

tyred

Legendary Member
Not in everyday use but I have an old Whitworth open end spanner which fits most threaded headset locknuts. I have no idea how old it is, I suspect it is part of a toolkit belonging to a piece of old farm machinery.

My car is 24 years old this month. Most of my bikes are even older. I did ride my 1939 Elswick-Hopper pretty regularly for a time a few years ago.

Top Bottom