Oldest object in daily use in your home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
We listen to the Home Service Radio 4 every evening on this mid 1930s Burndept radio.
FC69D4DE-DD80-4295-9773-94558E32C1F8.jpeg

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I grew up in a house built in the 14th Century, in fact the manor it was built on was listed in the Doomsday book. Nothing that old now, probably my grandfather's petrol can is the oldest.

A couple that immediately spring to mind. I`ve got my grandad`s electric mower which dates from 1971/2 ish, he gave it to me when I first had my own place. Still in regular use, it`s not very powerful and I do nurse it along, but it cuts beautifully, far better than any modern ones I`ve tried over the years.

Also got a fan heater from the 1950`s in my office/study. Heats the room nicely and has a lovely look to it too.

I`ve got a bit of a thing for vintage electricals/appliances. If I had the space to keep them it could become quite a nice hobby........

Brains

Legendary Member
We have a fair amount of old stuff, odd items that we have acquired off the family over the years, but things still in daily use include our kitchen table which is early Victorian (or maybe older) bread making table that came from the family estate.

The Long Case clock is dated 1760, and has been losing 1 minute a day since my grandfather was a boy back in the 1880's.
I also have a barograph that my grandfather had at sea before WW1, still works all day every day.

Top Bottom