Oldest object in daily use in your home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Might not have been my specific car

Ok,let it go now.:okay:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Mr WD. :laugh:. Seriously I have a Singer201k electric sewing machine made in 1936 that is still going strong. Built like a tank it is 83 years old and will probably still be working perfectly in another 83 years. These machines just go on forever.
I have a 1955 Singer 201k and I love it. Naturally, I cannot find a pic of it at this moment.

I have a 1955 Singer 201k and I love it. Naturally, I cannot find a pic of it at this moment.

I have a 1941 Singer 99k that I use to make cat show drapes. The foot controller is a bit iffy these days, so it's backed up by a 1960s Pfaff Gritzner. The The Pfaff was bought new by mum, but the Singer is a rescue - it was dumped by the recycling bins on the way into town. Came complete with manual and all the attachments and all...

IMG_2193_small.jpg

Is that a William Morris table cloth?

Couldn't say one way or another. It's one that was whizzed up from a fabric remnant that we had knocking around.

Can see where you're coming from though, the pattern is that sort of style. Family business used to be soft furnishings & upholstery, and all sorts of fabrics used to come through the doors, both new and vintage etc.

tyred

Legendary Member
Nice to see I'm not the only one with a camera collecting mania... :laugh:

Not too long ago, I picked up a job lot of 70s and early 80s Russian and East German rangefinders, SLRs and glass for a pittance in a charity shop. All in working order apart from some foam gone sticky, but that's not too difficult to replace.

I have a love of Zenits:becool: I have a few and have taken photos with all of them.

I actually bought another recently when it turned up on the local facebook buy and sell page and was being sold by some Polish guy who happened to live within walking distance so I couldn't let it go. It is in as new condition. I intend to use it in the not too distant future but I need to source replacement batteries for the light meter first.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a love of Zenits:becool: I have a few and have taken photos with all of them.

I actually bought another recently when it turned up on the local facebook buy and sell page and was being sold by some Polish guy who happened to live within walking distance so I couldn't let it go. It is in as new condition. I intend to use it in the not too distant future but I need to source replacement batteries for the light meter first.
My first 'real' camera was a Fed. I tried to get a Zorky but ended up with the Fed. My next REAL camera was a Zenit. I used to do weddings using that:rolleyes:

Dave7

Legendary Member
No where near as old as some mentioned but we have a 'rice pot' (used to store dry rice) from late 50s/early 60s. As you see its used for storing various kitchen bits n bobs now

Speaking of kitchenalia, I have a lot of bits that are at least 70 years old and still in use...

A blue enamelled sugar bin - takes 4 lbs of sugar, a cream enamelled flour bin which I use for pasta, plus a balloon whisk, assorted pastry cutters, a meat carving set, plus a load of WW2 US army-issue spoons and forks which are too big for eating with, but they're my cooking & serving cutlery.

Just to prove that I have something that is actually older than Mr WD here is a photo of my ancient Singer 201k:laugh:

Very nice. :okay: I also have four hand crank sewing machines on the loft - two with the standard spools and two with the oscillating shuttles. The oldest is from 1896, but it doesn't get used. It works fine, but the thread capacity on the shuttle is tiny.

Top Bottom