Oldest object in daily use in your home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My clock. It was one of my mum and dad's wedding presents in 1956. It's not worth much money wise(not that i'd part with it if it was),but it has a lot of sentimental value. The one below is a stock photo,but mine is 95% like it and the same make,Smith Enfield.
1580775500431.png

Last edited:
Some knives which I'm pretty sure were wedding presents for my Gran in the 1920's

plane.jpg

Two Stanley #4 Planes, one from the 70's and one (pictured) from the 50's. I have a chisel from my Grandad that I always carry at work which is probably much older.

We also had a microwave until last year that was considered "Ancient" when given to us as a gift in 2001.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
One of my QUAD 303 power-amps dates from about 1970, the other one is later perhaps 72

First sold in 67 and still better than the majority of modern amplifiers, still got the matching 33 Control Unit but that is acting as a phono stage on the other HiFi in the front room since I bought the modern (90s) 44 about 5yrs ago. :becool::becool:

Lozz360

Veteran
Maybe not daily use, but we have a set of Jacobean sherry glasses that we use regularly. Handed down in OH's family dating from about 1830/1840.

I also use regularly, my late Dad's Army issue medic bag from WW2. Makes a very robust shoulder bag.

winjim

Smash the cistern
My kid plays with my baby toys. I am 42 years old.
Here we go. My rattle from when I was a baby, rattled again by my daughter and now my son. Daughter said to me 'I didn't give [son] my rattle to play with, did I?' so I had to explain that it wasn't really hers to give but belonged to me.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some knives which I'm pretty sure were wedding presents for my Gran in the 1920's

View attachment 503219

Two Stanley #4 Planes, one from the 70's and one (pictured) from the 50's. I have a chisel from my Grandad that I always carry at work which is probably much older.

We also had a microwave until last year that was considered "Ancient" when given to us as a gift in 2001.
I have the exact same one and one which looks like a block of wood (9 inch long /3.25 inch wide) with a diagonal blade supported by a piece of wood going through it.I think my dad once told me it was from his apprentice days in the late 1940's. It could be the oldest object in my home,but definitely not the oldest in use as i hate d.i.y! I have both as ornaments.😏

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
We have a fair amount of old stuff, odd items that we have acquired off the family over the years, but things still in daily use include our kitchen table which is early Victorian (or maybe older) bread making table that came from the family estate.

The Long Case clock is dated 1760, and has been losing 1 minute a day since my grandfather was a boy back in the 1880's.
I also have a barograph that my grandfather had at sea before WW1, still works all day every day.

Today would have been my Grandfathers 140th birthday !
I have his cuff links on today.

Top Bottom