Oldest object in daily use in your home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Besides the items i've previously mentioned i also have a camera which my dad bought while doing national service in Hong Kong in 1952/3. Like my other things it's not worth much. I see these type of cameras in charity shops for about ten to fifteen quid.
1580951775730.png

I wonder if i could get a film from Timothy Whites and then take it back to get the photos developed in a fortnight? :smile:

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
Got some 70's Baby Cham glasses in the cupboard but not really used.

Besides the items i've previously mentioned i also have a camera which my dad bought while doing national service in Hong Kong in 1952/3. Like my other things it's not worth much. I see these type of cameras in charity shops for about ten to fifteen quid. View attachment 503426
I wonder if i could get a film from Timothy Whites and then take it back to get the photos developed in a fortnight? :smile:

A Voigtlander Bessa - would've been pretty decent in its day. Takes medium format 120 or 620 film rather than 35mm. As long as the bellows don't have any holes in them, it's still eminently useable *IF* you can find somewhere that still processes that size film.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
An old station/ shop clock.
I have never not known this clock. It always hung in our dining room and my Dad would adjust it each morning by the Radio 4 news.
It was never serviced and after many years, long after my Dads death, it stopped. It resided first with my brother and then my sister, neither got it repaired. When my sister moved I got it, the repair guy told me the cost of repair and said 'That's all it's worth in working condition.' ( Even at mates rates.) ' It doesn't matter.' I replied. Do it.'
My wife and daughters say it ticks too loud, but to me it is the sound of home.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
An old station/ shop clock.
I have never not known this clock. It always hung in our dining room and my Dad would adjust it each morning by the Radio 4 news.
It was never serviced and after many years, long after my Dads death, it stopped. It resided first with my brother and then my sister, neither got it repaired. When my sister moved I got it, the repair guy told me the cost of repair and said 'That's all it's worth in working condition.' ( Even at mates rates.) ' It doesn't matter.' I replied. Do it.'
My wife and daughters say it ticks too loud, but to me it is the sound of home. View attachment 503509
Very nice. I’m surprised you can still get the batteries for it.

Gunk

Guru
Besides the items i've previously mentioned i also have a camera which my dad bought while doing national service in Hong Kong in 1952/3. Like my other things it's not worth much. I see these type of cameras in charity shops for about ten to fifteen quid. View attachment 503426

That’s very nice, my daughter is a keen photographer and has a huge camera collection, she still shoots regularly on a 1940’s Roliflex.

That’s very nice, my daughter is a keen photographer and has a huge camera collection, she still shoots regularly on a 1940’s Roliflex.

Nice to see I'm not the only one with a camera collecting mania... :laugh:

Not too long ago, I picked up a job lot of 70s and early 80s Russian and East German rangefinders, SLRs and glass for a pittance in a charity shop. All in working order apart from some foam gone sticky, but that's not too difficult to replace.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Me. Can I count Me ?

Also, not sure about daily use with this one, but Mrs V has an Elf Christmas decoration that she hangs on the tree every year (personally I hate it and think it's evil). It was her grandmothers when she was a little girl, so it's quite old.

I would have liked to mention my Pearl Izimi MTB SPD shoes that I have had since 2007. But I finally threw them out this week (under protest) and bought a new pair of dhb ones. To be honest, there wasn't much left of them, although the cleats were perfectly fine :laugh:

Top Bottom