Oldest object in daily use in your home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
We use a dinner set that was bought in 1976 from Habitat.

It's not indestructible. It spent most of the time stored in the box and only coming out at Christmas.
Decided to make it the every day dishes recently , mainly to clear the cupboard.

Gunk

Guru
We have a 1930’s Bell telephone still in daily use, it was fully refurbished about 15 years ago, you can no longer dial out on it because we now have digital exchange so it’s a bit hopeless really, but I can’t part with it.

presta

Guru
I was going to say either the dining room table or the sideboard (not sure which, as they're both older than I am), but:
A couple of Cobblers' lasts, now doorstops from about 1940 that dad had from setting up his cobblers workshop in the 1930s
I have a last that was my grandfather's, and still use it to mend shoes occasionally. My grandfather was a foundryman, not a cobbler, but when he was out of work during the Great Depression he used to go and fetch sacks of shoes from the cobblers at the end of the street and mend them on the table at home. They had no money for things like bedlinen and often went hungry, but at least my father had a pair of shoes for school, unlike a lot of other kids who went in bare feet.

An mid-Victorian knife or cutlery tray. Doesn't hold cutlery anymore, but does a wonderful job keeping pots of jams and condiments tidy on my dining room table. Which itself is Edwardian.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Most of my bedroom furniture is Edwardian.
There's a plastic jug in the bathroom that was in the bathroom at home when we were kids - probably more than 50 years old.
And I've some Pyrex dishes that were my mum's - they might be 60 years old.
My sewing machine is a 1964 Singer but doesn't get used very often these days.

Venod

Eh up
I just asked Mrs Venod if we have anything in use older than the fruit bowl, she did mention a few knives and glasses, but she seemed to put the emphasis on the age of some of her wardrobe ! I should know better and not have asked.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't have many old things. My parents still have cutlery and a kitchen knife which they had as a wedding present (45 years this year). They are used every day.

byegad

Legendary Member
Born in 1950 to working class parents, I still keep and use things until they break and are no longer repairable. We moved house 4 yrs ago and I scrapped a card table that I remember my grandmother giving to my mother in about 1955, It was ancient then and I got it in 1985 to model make on. It saw Aircraft, Tanks and a variety of models for my N gauge model railways. By the time it was scrapped it just had to be over 100 years old.

wormo

Guru
I have all my grandad's gardening tools, he died in the 70's. Still brilliant and so well made.

I have a vase I made in the first year of grammar school in 1979 still in use.

I also have ornaments from both sets of grand parents as reminders.

I've some spanners and tools that are pre war and get fairly regular use. I still wear my British Army DPM smock that was issued to me in 1987, essential dog walking wear.
Aside from that, the oldest thing that gets used a lot in chez Drago are my jokes.
Smock? Para?

Top Bottom