Olympic cycling - track and road (may contain spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Absurd that drafting is legal? Or that it's illegal in other events?

I've done the bike leg of a couple of triathlons as part of a team. The question of whether drafting was legal never occurred to me. I'd guess it was illegal but I don't think I infringed, and if I did I don't think anyone would have cared. As you might guess we weren't taking it too seriously. It was quite a bit of fun, as I rarely set out to ride as fast as I can.

The former.

Martinsnos

Absurd that drafting is legal? Or that it's illegal in other events?

I've done the bike leg of a couple of triathlons as part of a team. The question of whether drafting was legal never occurred to me. I'd guess it was illegal but I don't think I infringed, and if I did I don't think anyone would have cared. As you might guess we weren't taking it too seriously. It was quite a bit of fun, as I rarely set out to ride as fast as I can.

I lost (as much) interest in triathlon once drafting was allowed. Re below…keep the ride as a TT (a fair race?!).

“Drafting is illegal in Ironman events and in the vast majority of age-group races but it is permitted in top-level ITU (International Triathlon Union) racing. The reason that drafting is legal for ITU pros is to make for a more spectator-friendly sport. It becomes more of a race and less of a time trial.”

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Dumb question, but with a massed start wouldn't it be a bit difficult to keep the appropriate gap. It's not like a TT where riders are set off at minute (or whatever) intervals. I suppose they will have been spread out from the swim by the time they get to the bike leg, but all the same a group of riders could well be setting off on the bike at the same time, so someone will inevitably be too close.

Not that it matters as it's unlikely I'll be paying any attention to triathlon for another 4 years :smile:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Dumb question, but with a massed start wouldn't it be a bit difficult to keep the appropriate gap. It's not like a TT where riders are set off at minute (or whatever) intervals. I suppose they will have been spread out from the swim by the time they get to the bike leg, but all the same a group of riders could well be setting off on the bike at the same time, so someone will inevitably be too close.

Not that it matters as it's unlikely I'll be paying any attention to triathlon for another 4 years :smile:
Yes it would be very tricky on a short course with lots of turns.
The pack is very close after the swimming leg it would be impossible to police it. But it does mean the race usually just comes down to who has conserved enough energy for the 10k run.

Martinsnos

Yes it would be very tricky on a short course with lots of turns.
The pack is very close after the swimming leg it would be impossible to police it. But it does mean the race usually just comes down to who has conserved enough energy for the 10k run.

They used to manage it, it was the rule, so people had to stick to it, it was something like 10m in line and 2m box to the side if overtaking.

BMX freestyle was very impressive to watch. I admire their courage, and to get up after a crash in the final and nail it is quite amazing.
This is impressive too:

View: https://twitter.com/tomcary_tel/status/1421842854972989442?s=19

They used to manage it, it was the rule, so people had to stick to it, it was something like 10m in line and 2m box to the side if overtaking.
The sport has evolved since then. To be a good triathlete you have to be able to do all three disciplines incredibly well. In the past it didn't matter if you were off the pace on the swim as you could make it up on the bike and or run.

And even in draft legal races you still need to be a good cyclist. We saw people dropping off from the lead group in both the men's and the women's race.

Loved the mixed team relay too. A great invention. I wonder if the UCI are thinking they've missed a trick.

Top Bottom