Olympic Road Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Mr Trickedem, sir, many thanks for drawing this to my attention, I may well see you at the place you mention in the thread. I plan to ride the Airnimal to Tonbridge and get the train to Redhill then ride to the viewing point. I know most bikes are banned until after the Olympics but the Airnimal folds and although it is not the Brompton so beloved of train companies, I should be able to get it on the train.
EDIT
I happened, by chance, to be watching the tele this afternoon. I think I will deffo be there next weekend. Is that bloke in the yellow jersey going to be picking the raffle tickets again?

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru
SouthEastern seem to have modified there cycle policy a little and now cycles are only banned on trains in and out of London. So Tonbridge to Redhill should be fine.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I shall be down there reporting from Walton-on-Thames. As it is just across the river from my in-laws. And then may ajourn to Richmond area to watch them come back.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
A friend and I were here for the test event they did last year.
http://goo.gl/maps/Ir73v

We were able to cycle down the road after a few discussions with marshalls, but who knows whether we'll be able to this time.
We can't decide what time to get there. We want to get a good spot, but we don't want to be hanging round unnecessarily for hours. We thought 9:00 might be OK, what do you lot think?

rb58

Enigma
I'm out. Sorry. Have a good day.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
So my friend thinks we should get there at 7:00.
That seems a bit early to me, but we don't want to get there and find it's already too busy to get a decent spot.

What do you lot think?

jugglingphil

I'm thinking of watching with my kids, maybe Bushy Park. But heading down in the morning from Nottingham, so there is no way we'll be there from 7am!!!
Thinking of watching outbound in Teddington (hopefully arrive around 9 ish), then head to Bushy Park for inbound. I just hope it'll be worth the effort and we'll actually see something

Link shows route and timings
http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/event/men-road-race/coursemap/

the entire cycling community of London seems to be hedging a decision on this. I have about 3 streams of friends all undecided about where to go. Current possibility = outbound @ Richmond Park, cycling down to maybe Esher or even Leatherhead Common and watch the second pass there - after that though - it's all about wanting to watch the finish on a decent screen.

redjedi

Über Member
I am planning on going to Richmond Park on Saturday, but I hadn't even considered being there as early as 7am (no doubt being horribly hung over).

Our plan was to cycle down (or at least close) to the Sheen gate, hoping that it will be least used entrance, and get there for the return leg. There's so much empty road side there's bound to be a space somewhere.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I am planning on going to Richmond Park on Saturday, but I hadn't even considered being there as early as 7am (no doubt being horribly hung over).

Our plan was to cycle down (or at least close) to the Sheen gate, hoping that it will be least used entrance, and get there for the return leg. There's so much empty road side there's bound to be a space somewhere.

I am almost certain that I'll get to say "I told you so" to my friend when we turn up at 7:00 and it's deserted.

Top Bottom