Olympic Road Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
I am almost certain that I'll get to say "I told you so" to my friend when we turn up at 7:00 and it's deserted.

There is a hell of a long stretch to watch from on Sawyers Hill - I can't imagine 7am is necessary.

Rode down Sawyers hill this afternoon. Freewheeling on my own at 30mph on a cross bike - i hate to think of the speeds they will come down at!

Oh, and the temperature was 30C! Thankfully the forecast for Saturday is 20C

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Anybody know what time the roads in the park will be closed to bikes from, on the Sat morning? Was thinking of aiming to get in there for 9 but may be too late...? Likely head for Sawyers at the top somewhere. Would expect the peloton to come up the drag at about 20mph mind you. They'll be gawn before you know it!

400bhp

Guru
If anyone wants a Zico Box hill ticket, I have a spare one. I'll be watching the race from outside their venue. I think I will try and arrive about 8am.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anybody know what time the roads in the park will be closed to bikes from, on the Sat morning? Was thinking of aiming to get in there for 9 but may be too late...? Likely head for Sawyers at the top somewhere. Would expect the peloton to come up the drag at about 20mph mind you. They'll be gawn before you know it!
I guess that quite a few people will be near the top of Sawyers Hill on the outward leg. There is a cycle path that runs parallel to the road for nearly all of the route in the Park so I don't think road closures should be an issue. The cycle path might get pretty busy and I think the gates into the Park will be pretty horrible bottlenecks. Good luck!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
There is a hell of a long stretch to watch from on Sawyers Hill - I can't imagine 7am is necessary.

Rode down Sawyers hill this afternoon. Freewheeling on my own at 30mph on a cross bike - i hate to think of the speeds they will come down at!

Oh, and the temperature was 30C! Thankfully the forecast for Saturday is 20C

Well, we're watching it on the Box Hill loop, which I'm sure will be quite popular.

I'll just take my tablet to watch a film on, should be fine.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I guess that quite a few people will be near the top of Sawyers Hill on the outward leg. There is a cycle path that runs parallel to the road for nearly all of the route in the Park so I don't think road closures should be an issue. The cycle path might get pretty busy and I think the gates into the Park will be pretty horrible bottlenecks. Good luck!

Aye - cheers
I came through the park this evening on my commute home and saw they have already put up hundreds of barriers along the sides of the road. I noticed they have put them all the way along the side of the cycle path you mentioned, on the north edge of Sawyers. I am sure there should be space enough for a few thousand spectators. Especially given the lay of the land that gives a good vantage point for a large surface area on the grass.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Aye - cheers
I came through the park this evening on my commute home and saw they have already put up hundreds of barriers along the sides of the road. I noticed they have put them all the way along the side of the cycle path you mentioned, on the north edge of Sawyers. I am sure there should be space enough for a few thousand spectators. Especially given the lay of the land that gives a good vantage point for a large surface area on the grass.
SD, I don't quite understand. Are they creating a zone between the bike path and the race road into which spectators are allowed, or is there just a single line of barriers next to the road?

TIA.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I will have to do another recon ride, either tomorrow or Friday. As I recall the barriers were in between the cycle path and the roadside. Looked like you would be a few metres away from the edge of the road, if you plan on standing on the north side of Sawyers. I will check and confirm. Also saw barriers on the edge of the Priory Rd, by Roehampton gate and a zillion barriers stacked up, ready for deployment (somewhere) in the car park at the top of Broomfield hill. Presumably this is just an overspill storage area though because the race isn't going anywhere near Broomfield.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks SD. I'm really kicking myself for not investing in shares of companies that make crowd control barriers. Is there no limit to this control-freakery? Compare this with TdF.:cry:

PK99

Legendary Member
Thanks SD. I'm really kicking myself for not investing in shares of companies that make crowd control barriers. Is there no limit to this control-freakery? Compare this with TdF.:cry:

The main areas of barriers were in areas frequented by deer and the wooded areas - the main lengths were clear

redjedi

Über Member

If you're going down that early Ant can you send me a text and let me know what's happening with letting bikes in? We are planning for a 12/1pm arrival so we can watch the start on TV, see what the crowds are like and then hope to get a space while people wander off waiting for the return.

I noticed some fences up on Tuesday, but only around the wooded areas where the deer usually dart out from, and also around the Roehampton Cafe, probably to help funnel people in (where no doubt they will be charging twice as much as usual).

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I went through again this afternoon and took a cpl of photos and some shaky hand iPhone video of the situation there (even though I was and AM sick Today). The things you do in the name of research, sheesh. Pics and vid to follow...

BTW - I will try to remember Luke, yeah. You know the race actually starts at 10am and they estimate to be coming through on their way out at about 10:20, right? :whistle:

Top Bottom