Olympic RR **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Would be a risky tactic, especially with no radios.
Which is exactly why it won't happen. We saw exactly the tactics GB will use during the TdF - allow a few hotheads to go into a break, control the speed of the peloton from the front with a five-man group, bring back the break with a few miles to go and then launch into the very well-drilled leadout train.

No-one with a sniff of a chance to win will be allowed more than a handful of minutes ahead of the main bunch.

U

User169

Box Hill...

vqpabn.jpg

PaulB

Legendary Member
The Olympics, after the TdF will be about as scintillating as the Charity Shield is to one of the participating sides, each of which have done the hard part getting there which renders the event a major anti-climax. It'll be like a pre-season friendly after your team has won the European Cup.

Get In The Van

I did hear that there are no race radios for the riders, so they can't rely on that to see how far a break (if there is one) is ahead, will be pure team tactics between riders as they ride. in that aspect Sagan has it easy as he rides to suit himself, no team orders, no looking after another rider, without this he can cause a lot of mischief if he wants

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Especially as Sagan can say "My room, half an hour. Bring a friend" in any damn language he chooses. :tongue:
I noticed that Sagan spoke fluent Italian in all his interviews. I don't know if he does English too but the polyglotism of the riders is impresive.

Steve H

Large Member
Top level cycling is clearly a team event. Wiggins would have had a very different time in the Tour if he didn't have such a strong team riding for him. Cav has a great chance of winning the Olympic Road Race this weekend, but if he is successful, this will not just be down to his own strength, but also the strength of the team he is riding with.

Therefore, why does only one individual get the Gold medal in this event? Why doesn't the whole team get a medal? There are many team events where the whole team get medals - rowing, football, relay events etc. Not sure why Olympic Road Race Cycling isn't classed as a team event.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Because it's not a team event.

Steve H

Large Member
Because it's not a team event.

Guess I was arguing that for the Olympics it should be classed as a team event.

For the Pro Tour, I can understand it being the individual who crosses the line who is the sole winner. That's why a lot of the domestiques get paid - to help their sprinters and GC riders to win.

But in the Olympics where they aren't paid to be there, and they are part of the country team where the aim of the majority of riders is to get one of their team mates across the line first rather than getting themselves across the line first, I think it should be classed as a Team Event.

If - god forbid - that a frencman wins - is there a French Lesley Garrett that can be summoned to sing the Marseillaise at the medal ceremony in revenge for what they did on Sunday

Top Bottom