Olympic RR **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd like him to and I wouldn't bet against him, but anything can happen in bike racing ...

There is an interesting preview of the road race course here.

beastie

Guru
It's a hard course to pick a winner on isn't it. If it's a Sprint then it could be Cav, Goss, Sagan, Greipel or Boonen. Sagan, Gilbert + Boonen are most likely to feature if it's a small selection, say 20 or so. Then add in Roleurs taking a punt on the way back to the mall.

I have a cheeky five on Taylor Phinney.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Filled more with blind hope and jingoistic fervour than carefully considered analysis, I'd say Cavendish. Why?
1) Cav has been loosing weight for this one.
2) Flat finish
3) He is with Team Sky, and therefore has been preparing himself and the team specifically for this all year.
4) He wants it more than anyone.

I think that team GB will ensure that the peleton takes Box Hill fast enough to ruin the legs of the pure sprinters but slow enough not to drop Cavendish, and then will pull the peleton along as fast as possible on the run into London, leaving only the fittest of sprinters capable of putting in that final spurt. Team GB will then launch the missile from a long way out (relatively speaking), about the same distance as on the Champs-Élysées 2012, leaving people like Sagan and Griepel too far behind and too stretched to make up the distance before the finish.

lukesdad

I think the breaks will go early, the countries without sprinters will want to split it up. With only 5 in ateam nobody will want to use their men up, so it's hard to see who will do the chasing. Germans or Aussies maybe ? But they won't be confident against Cav. So it'll be down to 4 Brits of which 2 have their eye on the tt.

beastie

Guru
I think the breaks will go early, the countries without sprinters will want to split it up. With only 5 in ateam nobody will want to use their men up, so it's hard to see who will do the chasing. Germans or Aussies maybe ? But they won't be confident against Cav. So it'll be down to 4 Brits of which 2 have their eye on the tt.

Wiggins owes Cav from the TDF, I expect a massive pull a la the Worlds.

beastie

Guru
I'm not so sure Wiggins "Owes" Cav anything, Cav got well paid to follow team orders..
just to see things from a different angle, why wouldn't the new TDF champion fancy on olymplic road race gold, history making can make a big difference to ones plans, especially as this could be possible his last games..
Yes and no. I think Cav riding without a leadout thru most of the tour was done on the understanding that he would have the GB team working for him in the Olympics.

Steve H

Large Member
My heart definitely says Cav. He wants it so much and has a really strong team around him. I wouldn't underestimate Box Hill many times over though - no problem getting over the first few times, but I think there will be break-aways and attacks coming from the teams / individuals who aren't pure sprinters.

If it comes down to a bunch sprint, I don't think Cav will go too early. On the final sprint in Paris last weekend he went very early, but I think this was more from the momentum he managed to carry into the final corner and the element of surprise he launched on his rivals.

If its not Cav, I'd have an each-way bet on Boonen or Sagan.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is there a definitive list of teams anywhere?
Men's RR start list (by name and by country). Women's RR start list (by name and by country).
I've been looking at http://www.london2012.com/cycling-road/athletes/event=cycling-road-men-road-race/index.htmx where you can filter by country. I can see that GB and Australia, for example, are fielding a team of five, but does that mean that riders from smaller countries, such as Algeria, are going to be Billy Nomates?
In theory, yes, but if you remember what happened in Sydney - Kazakh Vinokourov rode with his German Telekom team-mates Ullrich and Klöden. Trade team loyalties may kick in if personal and national interests cannot be served. Sometimes all 3 can be served at the same time!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
(GB Team Captain ?) David Millar has already said that there could well be alliances formed on the road, where teams with similar desires (eg. GB, Germany, Oz, NZ, who all want a sprint finish) will work together to make that happen - as happened in Copenhagen, where Germany, Australia and GB all worked together to get to the sprint finish (where the best man won :wahhey:)

Obviously, other alliances will form to prevent it !

There could also be the possibility of eg Austria (Bernie Eisel), Canada (Ryder Hesjedal) becoming 'honorary team GB' to help their trade-ream mates. :whistle:

David Millar and the rest of team GB will be pulling as many strings/calling in favours etc to get Cav 'loaded and fired' at the right time. :wahhey:

I also think that this is another one of David Brailsford's Projects: Project Beijing Track; Project TdF; Project Olympic RR. If form is any indicator .... :biggrin:

Either way, it should be a cracker ! :hyper:

What TV coverage is there ?

Top Bottom