Olympic RR - Women (spoilers etc)

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by thom, 28 Jul 2012.

1. thom

thom ____

I didn't see the women's race mentioned in the other thread so it seems appropriate to have a dedicated thread.
    Nicole Cooke delivered last time - this year I heard they'll hedge their bets and ride aggressively allowing Cooke to try for a break and Armitstead for a reduced bunch sprint : http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/24/london-2012-nicole-cooke-cycling?INTCMP=SRCH
    I'll be on the Mall - I just hope there's a bit more info than today !

2. dragon72

dragon72 Veteran

Just as long as they have a Plan B!!

3. OP
    OP
    thom

thom ____

Well that's what the Guardian article suggested, which is contrary to all the other reports I heard.
    It's a bit of a different race because GB don't have the fastest sprinter out there and they'll want to eliminate people like Marianne Vos from the equation.

4. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

I think it's more a case that the team will have one plan and Cooke will have another... :thumbsup:

DP likes this.
  5. yello

yello Legendary Member

Do the have a Plan A??? ;) (and I am being flippant, honest)

Sadly, I'm not going to be able to watch. I have to (i.e. my wife says so) go to a wedding anniversary party tomorrow afternoon. Personally, if it were just me, I'd watch the cycling... but it's not just me! :laugh:

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

To win, hopefully.

One of my favourite riders.

7. Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere

Mine too. Unfortunately, much like Tommy Voeckler, the feeling is not shared by the peloton.

8. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I gathered that she's not Miss Popular. Why?

9. Smokin Joe

She's single minded and does not suffer fools.

10. yello

yello Legendary Member

I guess, in fairness, she is from a different era (and I don't mean that in negative way). For many years, she pretty much was UK women's cycling. Her successes are undeniable. Her, er, 'headstrongness' is well known and partly the reason for her successes. She's a talented and gutsy rider... just maybe not a team player unless it's her team. She probably finds it difficult to pass over the baton.

11. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

But the likes of Armistead & co are hardly fools. Cooke has never really been part of the Cycling GB setup either, has she? It seems odd that someone as good as her, even if she is a poor team player, seems to be on the margins.

12. Smokin Joe

She didn't come through the system like the others though. Herself and David Millar are the last of the "Foreign Legion" who went out and did it on their own bat.

13. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

But Millar seems to have no problem with the setup or with working as a team player. Hasn't she also changed teams more frequently than I've changed my pants?

14. yello

yello Legendary Member

You said it so much better than I did!

15. Smokin Joe

Millar is a team player. Cooke is a winner.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice