Olympic RR - Women (spoilers etc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Millar is a team player. Cooke is a winner.
See also Cavendish carrying bottles in the TdF. You can surely be a teamplayer AND a winner.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
It's pretty much the same reason as Voeckler is unpopular. She is a very individual rider who always rides her own race, goes with her gut, rides her heart out, and is hard on herself and everyone else. She's neither a conventional team-player nor a tactician. But she has the added problem, which is bizarre but unfortunately still the case in this day and age, that she isn't a 'girly girl', she is, to quote an ex-British Cycling person of my acquaintance, "an animal." And that means that, basically, she doesn't fit in.

But she's probably the most purely talented, instinctive and hard-working female rider GB has had for years. I think she's fantastic, and I wish women's pro-cycling had the levels of investment that would have meant a greater variety of teams and opportunities and for her specifically, a greater continuity and the backing of a particular set-up (like Voeckler has found with Vendee/BlB/Europcar) that would have allowed her to flourish.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
But she's probably the most purely talented, instinctive and hard-working female rider GB has had for years. I think she's fantastic, and I wish women's pro-cycling had the levels of investment that would have meant a greater variety of teams and opportunities and for her specifically, a greater continuity and the backing of a particular set-up (like Voeckler has found with Vendee/BlB/Europcar) that would have allowed her to flourish.
Her scream when she won in Beijing is one of the abiding memories I have of those games.
It was brilliant and Emma Pooley's TT silver medal was great too.
Let's see how things go tomorrow. I feel that Armitstead has a better chance to get something then Cooke but I'll be supporting both!

It's pretty much the same reason as Voeckler is unpopular. She is a very individual rider who always rides her own race, goes with her gut, rides her heart out, and is hard on herself and everyone else. She's neither a conventional team-player nor a tactician. But she has the added problem, which is bizarre but unfortunately still the case in this day and age, that she isn't a 'girly girl', she is, to quote an ex-British Cycling person of my acquaintance, "an animal." And that means that, basically, she doesn't fit in.

I thought Voeckler was unpopular because he takes the piss in breakaways and plays to the camera? Perhaps it's more because her team mates simply can't trust her and cycling is a team game, even for committed individualists. Hopefully there will be a book or two written on her in the future because it's fascinating.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Does the race start at the same time as yesterday? I.e 10am?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Sorry to be totally helpless, but as the ladies' race starts two hours later than the mens' race does it end at 6pm instead of 4pm?

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

OP
OP
thom

thom

____
Sorry to be totally helpless, but as the ladies' race starts two hours later than the mens' race does it end at 6pm instead of 4pm?

No, there are fewer circuits of Box Hill. Finishing time all depends on how fast they decide to race but Radio 5 are telling people their coverage will be from 3.30 pm

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I was planning on gong out for a ride, but I guess I could postpone :smile:

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from settee #2 - steel & wooden frame, deep padded seat, low profile DFS 2000 model.

Top Bottom