Olympics Tickets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Applied for 20 events (max allowed) and have had a few hundred quid deducted from bank account. Will have to wait to see what has been allocated. Am guessing the top of the range expensive ones will not be coming my way due to relative small amount deducted.

Will probably end up with duplicate badminton or volleyball tickets!!! First refusal of extras to CC'ers!!!

I've got tickets to a football match but which one I don't know yet !. Ah well means I can spend some of my time and money on Marmotte or Time Megeve next year...

Have to say I'm a bit p**sed with the whole Olympics thing. My youngest was born 20/12/2004. This entitled him to become part of the children's promise..
http://www.london2012.com/press/med.../golden-start-for-next-olypmic-generation.php

This was pushed big time.. oh and Opening and Closing ceremonies always mentioned..We have a letter saying congratulations to our young man as he will be going to the Opening or Closing Ceremony of Olympics/Paralympics. Of course the original promise mentions London for those of us not living there.. so thought at least they'd give us a day out there and we'd have chance to maybe visit stadium... Lets face it, when one mentions the Olympics that what springs to mind.
Well no and to paraphrase the standardised note from 2012 committee its more convenient for us families and the children involved to attend the regional Torch ceremonies-- Now given these children are going to be 7 next year the nearest they'll get to a torch under current H&S laws is about 20M. So a Regional Torch ceremony it is 2 months before the Olympics starts, in a country where there are no Olympic events scheduled, and so far no team has chosen to use as a base for the Olympics.
Any one on here have any good journalist contacts ?

So this is an Olympics Committee that talks about Legacy and promises, and quietly breaks them. There's a whole raft of things about inspiring youth - imagine when Danny Boyle (slumdog millionaire) and Stephen Daldry (Billy Elliot) were chosen to do the Opening ceremony how one thinks yep, maybe they're going to involve the Children's promise kids.. My 6 1/2 year old keeps asking when will we be going to the Olympics - Its kind of disheartening having to tell him he's going to see it on the BBC.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I think Box Hill is the best spot - you see them more than once. You are going to have to get there very early, though. I'll be orgainising a ride leaving central London at midnight, arriving about 2.15 am

The route will lap box hill nine times on a 15.5km loop so you could stand anywhere on the 15K loop and see the cyclists 9 times.

The Box Hill Zig Zags will attract the masses but there are plenty of other good vantage points in lanes around Headley Village and Mickleham which will not be a busy.

BTW I have had no money taken from my account yet so no tickets for me either :angry:

I have no interest whatever in the Olympics and was never going to apply for tickets to watch anything - in fact I plan to completely ignore the entire thing - but when did we get to the point as a country when we couldn't even organise the selling of tickets to a sporting event properly?

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport...ants-receive-first-set-of-clues-201106023895/

The whole thing seems to have been a complete shambles.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Other than Box Hill where are the other great spots to watch going to be ... I've never watched a road race before ... do you need hill to get the best spot?

According to cycling weekly, Box hill maybe a no no. National Turst may well be fencing the hill off so no one can stand by the road on the hill. All a bit of a shambles.

According to cycling weekly, Box hill maybe a no no. National Turst may well be fencing the hill off so no one can stand by the road on the hill. All a bit of a shambles.

Pissup and brewery springs to mind.. I thought there was supposed to be a pre-olympic test event .. I know there are some for the various venues but wondering if there are any for the RR.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When the idiots took over the asylum.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
How is the ticket thing a shambles? As far as I know people knew what the set up was when they applied so although you don't know exactly what you're getting it will only be one of your choices. Seems a fairer way of doing it so that, corporate aside, everyone gets the same chance.

I haven't applied for any myself so don't care if it all goes tits up and am also happy to be proved wrong if folk get tickets they didn't ask for or no tickets at all! :smile:

3BMcG I think the Shambles was in reference to the fact that Box Hill the best view point for the RR may be closed off -

On the ticketing this gives an insight... Also its not clear how many tickets were available at the prices.. plus there was a loophole which meant that one could actually order ones tickets off the internet via a DE or DK website when we were being told everything was supposed to go via the London2012 site.

http://www.123people.co.uk/ext/frm?.../04/dear-seb-coe.html&section=blog&wrt_id=261

Then of course there's this...
http://londonist.com/2011/04/london-faces-175m-penalty-over-olympics-air-quality.php

And there's this ..
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/may/29/london-2012-legacy-sports-participation

The locals aren't too keen
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...rtain-future-neither-was-in-the-bid-book.html

not forgetting this guy - who we all knew was in trouble..
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2011/05/24/failed-2012-builder-owes-at-least-18m-to-subbies/

Plenty of people seem to have ended up with no tickets at all. It just seems to me that any ticket system where, rather than simply buying the tickets you want, you have to apply for tickets then find out that you've been awarded some tickets by checking your credit card statements (and even then, as far as I can tell, you don't know what actual events you're going to see) is ridiculously overcomplicated. Why not just have a "first come first served" system?
The "shambles" comment was prompted by the revelation that Box Hill will be closed to spectators, but I confidently predict that it will apply to pretty much everything about the entire event. Starting with the absurdly overcomplicated ticket allocation system, which I expect will shortly be adopted by budget airlines and train operators.

On the ticketing this gives an insight... Also its not clear how many tickets were available at the prices.. plus there was a loophole which meant that one could actually order ones tickets off the internet via a DE or DK website when we were being told everything was supposed to go via the London2012 site.

http://www.123people...blog&wrt_id=261

That's brilliant, and absolutely bang on.:biggrin:

Paulus

TBM, my shambles comment was aimed at the possibility of Box Hill being closed off to spectators. It won't make for good T.V coverage either, seeing the riders go up the hill on empty roads. The route should of been discussed with the various interested parties before being decided. Also, this is route 2. The first route was around central london and the suburbs which was changed to the present one.

Paulus

I am a bit miffed though that many people from London, who are paying partly for the games, and around the country have not got tickets. I understand that it is a global event and there will be hundreds of thousands of people coming to this country, so there will be a political/economic element to the way the tickets have been allocated, but I do think that more tickets should of been earmarked for people from the British Isles.

Top Bottom