on-board cameras; have they made a difference?

using a camera:

• has been a good deterrant to close passes

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • made no difference

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • resulted in more close passes

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tizme

Veteran
I had a couple of nasty incidents in quick succession which prompted me to get a camera for commuting to work. I am sure it had no effect on drivers, I just hoped that in the event of me being hit some evidence would be around even if I wasn't!

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
To add to my earlier comments as you are in Cheshire, in my experience Cheshire police will also take no action against motorists who, because of an oncoming driver's MGIF attitude, force cyclists into the gutter and/or an emergency brake, irrespective of whether the driver is behind the wheel of a small car, people carrier or even an HGV. Neither will they take action against drivers who close pass a cyclist and force an oncoming motorist to brake or swerve.

I bought a camera a few months back, 30 quid second hand. Second time of use was close passed, really close on the brow of a rail bridge. Avon and Somerset police sent a NIP. So they said anyway.
I don't want to have to do it, and don't like doing it, but education doesn't seem to be working. Hitting people in their pockets will.

lazyfatgit

I’ve a rear camera which I got as evidence gathering tool in event of being rear ended as this is the cause of most cyclist fatalities here. Really for the benefit of mrs LFG should she need to pursue an insurance claim. I’m absolutely certain it makes no difference to driver behaviour.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I report bad passes and get no feedback at all, the police could be doing something or I could just be shouting into the ether.

Lonestar

Veteran
I’ve a rear camera which I got as evidence gathering tool in event of being rear ended as this is the cause of most cyclist fatalities here. Really for the benefit of mrs LFG should she need to pursue an insurance claim. I’m absolutely certain it makes no difference to driver behaviour.

No but i think that's more down to the society we live in.

Lonestar

Veteran
I think the problem here is the hyped up poor reputation cyclists have got.Police also haven't got the manpower to deal with this also.

So when a crime is committed it's just a slap on the wrist.I see some appalling driving sometimes and also mobile phone use because people aren't worried and know they will get away with it.

It's getting worse,not better.

JhnBssll

Veteran
This thread has made me stop and think a bit. Until now I have considered it futile having cameras on my bikes, preferring a more pro-active approach to preventing accidents rather than recording them to assign blame. Yet I have fitted dashcams to both of our cars :wacko: Why is that any different, because apparently until a few minutes ago I thought it was :laugh:

Maybe I should get a camera on the commuter for starters and see if its worth rolling out to the other roadbikes...

My only concern is currently I'm pretty laid back and rarely react at all to all but the closest of passes - this keeps the blood pressure under control and keeps me smiling. I'm worried that reviewing the camera footage will wind me up a lot more that the incident itself :laugh:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
While I'm a proponent of helmet/bike and dashcam use I don't believe they currently make any difference other than my own peace of mind. As a motorcyclist I still get pulled out on at least twice a day but should there be any damage or injury done I have HD footage + clear sound of the incident. OTOH the same camera records my own actions so if being naughty then I'm carrying around my own evidence until such times as I format the SDcard, that's always in the back of my mind.

Micro technology exists to the point where cameras + mics could be easily factory fitted into rearview mirrors and record to tamperproof DVR's, but there's no push at all for this unsurprisingly (I'm not sure even that would make a difference). There's just no interest when so few relatively have some form of recording device.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My only concern is currently I'm pretty laid back and rarely react at all to all but the closest of passes - this keeps the blood pressure under control and keeps me smiling. I'm worried that reviewing the camera footage will wind me up a lot more that the incident itself :laugh:

With close.passes the basic rule I follow is, did it scare me? If it did I will review the footage. If I intend to report it, I find drafting the witness statement at the same time helps keeps me more level headed about the incident and saves the blood pressure.
Apart from that, pleasureable encounters with wildlife, or reporting a recorded offence I know the police will do something about, I never review the footage.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just a thought are close passes better filmed with a rear looking camera, sometimes when I view a forward facing one with a fisheye lense I often wonder what the uploader is complaining about or maybe it's just my level of tolerance to the idiot drivers.

Top Bottom