on-board cameras; have they made a difference?

using a camera:

• has been a good deterrant to close passes

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • made no difference

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • resulted in more close passes

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Just a thought are close passes better filmed with a rear looking camera, sometimes when I view a forward facing one with a fisheye lense I often wonder what the uploader is complaining about or maybe it's just my level of tolerance to the idiot drivers.

An interesting point. I wonder if someone with a Fly 6 could clarify? @glasgowcyclist ? @Arjimlad ?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Just a thought are close passes better filmed with a rear looking camera, sometimes when I view a forward facing one with a fisheye lense I often wonder what the uploader is complaining about or maybe it's just my level of tolerance to the idiot drivers.
Doesn't answer the question but relevant, I think it would be very clear cut if those drivers had close passed me. On the front IMO, the pass is practically over when the vehicle comes into view, there is an element of fisheye though. I've sometimes thought there was nothing wrong with that pass yet the protestations from the rider suggest otherwise

View: https://youtu.be/zeQsCG_QL_Q

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
An interesting point. I wonder if someone with a Fly 6 could clarify? @glasgowcyclist ? @Arjimlad ?
IMG_20180829_143232.jpg

I am not sure but the Aldi rear camera is useful especially when tailgated.

lazyfatgit

I have a fly6 only and there have been a couple of times where a driver has badly misjudged the length of their vehicle and has pulled to the left too quickly. This would have been clear on a front facing camera.

dhd.evans

Veteran
I got my Contour Roam 2 second hand from fleaBay. I decided it was time after my most brutal off which resulted in loss of teeth, tongue and face because of a driver's impatience. The driver contacted me and once it was established that I had been concussed and lost memory of the accident the driver's story changed to the point that they came after me for insurance money for their beloved car. I didn't have a camera at the time so I had to use a solicitor to bat it back. Scum is always scum.

No evidence, no accountability, no recourse for your actions.

I don't like having to use it but I feel safer knowing that if someone decides to take umbrage with me on the road or cycle path there will be video evidence of their transgression(s). To that end I have reported two drivers to the old Bill for their behaviour with the hope that the driver will receive a tap on the shoulder and be shown the error of their ways.

si_c

Guru
My only concern is currently I'm pretty laid back and rarely react at all to all but the closest of passes - this keeps the blood pressure under control and keeps me smiling. I'm worried that reviewing the camera footage will wind me up a lot more that the incident itself :laugh:

I almost never review the footage. If the camera makes it inside off the bike (sometimes I forget :/) then I just plug it in to charge in the kitchen, and that's it until the next day.

I've only double checked the footage for particularly egregious behaviour.

Reactions: mjr

T675Rich

A while back a taxi cut me up while I was on my Motorbike, tried to avoid him but there was slight contact that resulted in a dent in his car where my handle bar made contact, the speed at impact was 10mph at most. There was no damage to me or the bike and the car damage was minimal. Unfortunately as I was filtering and there were no witnesses it went split liability which I kind of expected, I had protected no claims and there couldn't have been more than £200 worth of damage to his car. I was somewhat surprised to later receive court proceedings as he claimed that the force "threw him forward, backwards and side to side" resulting in whiplash. I was totally baffled as to how 350kg max of bike and rider managed to hit a two ton car hard enough to cause such injuries when the bike rider and bike were completely undamaged..I questioned this with my solicitor but apparently the doctors report said he had whiplash so we couldn't argue it. It made no difference to me financially but it really annoyed me and I wondered if video evidence could have put a stop to such a nonsense claim so I got myself a Drift Stealth camera which I use on every ride. Fortunately I haven't had an accident since but I don't think it makes any difference to how other road users act around you.

I can't decide if I am going to use it when I cycle yet or not.

col.kurtz

Having had a family member hit and killed by a speeding driver, I only use one in the event of anything happening and I'm unable to explain my side of the story to the police (if they were to even bother coming to the hospital). Morbid I know but in my family's case, because there wasn't enough evidence of the manner of cycling or road positioning in a counter flow cycle lane, it prevented the prosecution of a killer driver who is subsequently back on the road (the city council hadn't put the speed repeater signs up at the correct intervals so it was technically an unenforceable road). British justice, best in the world!
I use it as a "black box" and is there as piece of mind, so it may affect the way I cycle but probably doesn't affect the way drivers approach me.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
View attachment 427984

I am not sure but the Aldi rear camera is useful especially when tailgated.

"I have reviewed the footage which you sent in from the Hortham Lane incident on the 29th August.

I have decided that you are correct that the vehicle passed too close to you and as a result I have sent an advisory letter to the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Whilst I appreciate that you would prefer the police to prosecute I do not feel that on this occasion that is a suitable course of action as there are no additional aggravating factors, just poor driving standards.

Thank you for your submission and for bringing this standard of driving to our notice to help keep our roads safe."

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I think the proximity is better judged (by a 3rd party such as the police) if the field of view of the camera, whether front or rear, includes part of the bike or rider. My Fly6 does this because my panniers are visible in shot but the Fly12 is slung under the handlebar with nothing of the bike showing in the field of view. I feel this means that close passes viewed from the front don't look as bad as they are and, as @T.M.H.N.E.T says, the vehicle has almost passed before you get a good look at the distance.

I have seen YT videos of other riders, who have mounted the rear facing camera slung under the right hand side of the bars thereby including a lot of the rider and bike in the frame. This seems to be more effective in rendering the true nature of the bad passes and I'd guess a front camera mounted towards the rear would have a similar effect.

This close pass (not mine) got the driver a fine of £200 and 4 penalty points.

rearviewcam.jpg

I have two (one front, one rear) & don't think it makes a jot of difference.

I became a convert after I was chased by a car & the occupants subsequently decanted, attempted to attack me, then chased me down the road hurling abuse (rather than close passes). I'm still on anti-anxiety/anti-depressants 12 months on. The cameras are there for my peace of mind only & have made the difference between me doing some cycling & not cycling at all (I still can't go out for a "fun" ride - it's been commuting only). I'm not really interested in reporting crap driving.

KneesUp

Guru
I don't have a bike camera, but we do have CCTV at work. One fine day I spotted a person whom I'd previously seen shoplifting in footage from said cameras. As there were no police about, I decided to give him a bollocking myself. He was shocked to say the least, and told me he knew we had cameras but he didn't think they were real. Despite the signs saying they are real. He's never been back, and it would seem he was at least honest in that when he said he'd tell "everyone else" that the cameras were real he perhaps did, as we've had fewer suspicious looking types in since.

However, my point is that the cameras were no deterrent because for one reason or another he didn't think anything would happen - in this case because he thought the cameras were fakes, but I would imagine if it's the case that people think your bike camera is real but they are doing nothing wrong and/or the police will do nothing, it will also have no effect on behaviour.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have two (one front, one rear) & don't think it makes a jot of difference.

I became a convert after I was chased by a car & the occupants subsequently decanted, attempted to attack me, then chased me down the road hurling abuse (rather than close passes). I'm still on anti-anxiety/anti-depressants 12 months on. The cameras are there for my peace of mind only & have made the difference between me doing some cycling & not cycling at all (I still can't go out for a "fun" ride - it's been commuting only). I'm not really interested in reporting crap driving.

Can't like your post, what a dreadful experience, glad the cameras reassure you & I hope you feel better soon.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Morbid I know but in my family's case, because there wasn't enough evidence of the manner of cycling or road positioning in a counter flow cycle lane, it prevented the prosecution of a killer driver who is subsequently back on the road (the city council hadn't put the speed repeater signs up at the correct intervals so it was technically an unenforceable road).
I thought that was just outside the city (Cringleford) so it was the county council's fault. Not that that matters much. They could still have prosecuted but end of the day, they thought they wouldn't win so decided not to try. :sad: Has anyone in authority said camera footage would have helped?

Hope you're OK and in touch with Tony Clarke and the others at Norwich Cycling Campaign.

Top Bottom