On owning a Caravan, CC'ers experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Which layout ?
The one we were looking at was just shy of 8m

Having driven a lot of big vans a fair bit I was looking for something starting with a high 6 or a low 7
I've found the van I want, the only issue is the cost of a Burstner 580 M-LT (Mercedes base and 6.95m long)
It's the fixed bed and bathroom in the rear with two side facing front seats. The kitchen area has plenty of surface space and the shower is a separate cubicle within the bathroom giving more space too. It is fairly long at 7.45m.

Look at the second-hand market if the price is a concern. I would most of the vans we looked at had less than 10,000 miles on the clock. Ours only had 7000 off miles on it and it's 3yrs old. There is also the caravan and motorhome show at the NEC next month to have a good look around at and get ideas at. For two grand more we could have had a brand new Eldiss 845 which we loved but it just didn't have the storage we wanted.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Mate of mine uses Brit Stops a lot of the time in his VW campervan.
Free overnight stays.
http://www.britstops.com/welcome.php
That looks good. The 2018 version comes out at the NEC show so we will pick up a copy.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Know any good lawns??

Not any more. Pop your head through the door and you'll see....

Brains

Legendary Member
It's the fixed bed and bathroom in the rear with two side facing front seats. The kitchen area has plenty of surface space and the shower is a separate cubicle within the bathroom giving more space too. It is fairly long at 7.45m.

Look at the second-hand market if the price is a concern. I would most of the vans we looked at had less than 10,000 miles on the clock. Ours only had 7000 off miles on it and it's 3yrs old. There is also the caravan and motorhome show at the NEC next month to have a good look around at and get ideas at. For two grand more we could have had a brand new Eldiss 845 which we loved but it just didn't have the storage we wanted.

We are also looking for massive storage space.
We are looking at ones with twin single beds in the rear, bathroom amidships, and a half dinette behind the cab
They tend to then have a big storage door on either side and a 'garage' big enough for about 4 bikes and an inflatable canoe, plus the usual chairs and table etc.

It amazes me the low mileage that many of these vehicles have, 3,000 miles a year seems to be on the high side!
We came across a 1993 model with 16,000 on the clock!

I think what is more telling is the number of nights they have been used, as we have found low mileage ones that have spent all winter, every winter in Spain and so although only 5 years old and under 20k on the clock, they have been used as accommodation for over a year in that time, so everything looks a bit worn, all the seats need recovering, the oven and fridge need replacing, the heating is knackered, new mattresses required, and one I think had a deep fat fryer on board, so even after industrial cleaning it was 'sticky'!

We have come to the conclusion that:
No Transit van base (ideally Mercedes or Fiat)
Max 7.5m long, (ideally under7m) any longer and you start to limit where you can go
Twin rear bed layout
Ideally of German manufacture (and probably not British)

Enjoy the NEC show, but you need to be very focussed on what you want to see as it would take 2 days to see it all

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We are also looking for massive storage space.
We are looking at ones with twin single beds in the rear, bathroom amidships, and a half dinette behind the cab
They tend to then have a big storage door on either side and a 'garage' big enough for about 4 bikes and an inflatable canoe, plus the usual chairs and table etc.

It amazes me the low mileage that many of these vehicles have, 3,000 miles a year seems to be on the high side!
We came across a 1993 model with 16,000 on the clock!

I think what is more telling is the number of nights they have been used, as we have found low mileage ones that have spent all winter, every winter in Spain and so although only 5 years old and under 20k on the clock, they have been used as accommodation for over a year in that time, so everything looks a bit worn, all the seats need recovering, the oven and fridge need replacing, the heating is knackered, new mattresses required, and one I think had a deep fat fryer on board, so even after industrial cleaning it was 'sticky'!

We have come to the conclusion that:
No Transit van base (ideally Mercedes or Fiat)
Max 7.5m long, (ideally under7m) any longer and you start to limit where you can go
Twin rear bed layout
Ideally of German manufacture (and probably not British)

Enjoy the NEC show, but you need to be very focussed on what you want to see as it would take 2 days to see it all

This is the internals on a Peugeot cab:

3355867B-1F3B-43B3-87FF-12C3CCCBAD84.jpeg
DFD8C43E-FC96-42B1-B072-CD6F3E95134C.jpeg
65BF0DCB-942C-43B1-8377-D1D90FC18E47.jpeg
99EB2A65-3DD2-42CC-B287-F759BC97D82E.jpeg
413055BE-6091-43A3-AE0C-C8CD0C1EC092.jpeg
FF2D3C85-15EA-4E8E-A64B-5372D3ECDE1A.jpeg
E1B60D86-0513-4738-926C-917F2EFB079B.jpeg

F70100

Who, me ?
We have a Bailey Motorhome (Approach Compact 520). We’ve had it for almost 2 years now having done about 6500 miles in it. I have recently retired () so We’re expecting to use it extensively for the foreseeable. We’ll be setting off to Scotland once this weeks gales and snow have blown through.

I’m sure you’ll have lots of fun your camper. Do get in touch if you get stuck with anything.

Top Bottom