On owning a Caravan, CC'ers experience?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
:eek: burn !!!

She is being traded in to make the motorhome price more palatable.
And we’re going on half rations.....

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
It's one of our retirement dreams to get a camper. The Baileys look great!
My company uses Peugeot Boxers so I know how to update the satnav - so I'm one step closer to ownership :okay:
Another plus is my OH :girldance: drives ambulances so she can sort out the tricky parking bits :unsure:
We went for this one as it can nicely store both Bromptons and our rather comfortable and luxurious camping chairs plus a lot more under the bed. This area also has outside access so you don't have to drag the bikes through the living area. Other motorhomes had huge garage areas but the inside set up just didn't suit us and the cat and probably a whippet in the near future.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 5116909, member: 45"]I wish they still made Bongos.[/QUOTE]
Too loud man, too loud.....

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I was behind an orange VW camper at the weekend complete with painted hippy flowers.

Imagine my surprise when I saw the 2016 number plate. It looked almost identical to an old camper.

Re the last couple of posts, take a look at the website of Danbury Motors, who import type 2 vw vans and convert them.....

As a general point, having had caravans and now having the campervan as in my avatar, I prefer the campervan. Yes, you do have to keep the interior tidy in case you need to go from site in it, but I found the whole business of putting a van into storage, then taking it home to clean and pack it, then at the end of a trip taking it home to unpack before putting it back into storage, to be a faff. The campervan is parked on our drive at home, so packing for a trip is so much easier. And it gives us a second vehicle for the odd occasion where Mrs S and I are going places independent of each other.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Just before retirement, we bought ourselves a Motorhome.

That was 11 years ago, we have not regretted it, but, we have changed vans three times since then, as we have refined our requirements/wants. To be fair, the most recent change was due to us both reaching age 70, and having a problem extending our C1/D1 Driving Licence Group. This meant we could not drive our > 3500kg Motorhome, so, we switched to a 3500kg model.

We had never camped or caravanned before, but, before retirement, we had travelled extensively in mainland Europe by car (staying in hotels and/or rented Gites/villas.

My first bit of advice is, try to decide as accurately as possible what you wish to do. If you want mainly short (say 2/3 weeks in UK and/or near Europe), then a small camper (panel van conversion) will suit. If you want to do extended trips (we do 3 months plus), then you need something bigger, depending on how much you can afford, a coach built motorhome (6 - 6.5metres) or an "A" Class of similar size is more appropriate.

I do know people who do the 3 months plus in a panel van conversion, but, IMHO you need something bigger.

Sorry to say, basically, there is no "right" answer, it depends on what YOU like doing.

Brains

Legendary Member
Bailey 740 Approach Autograph....

Which layout ?
The one we were looking at was just shy of 8m

Having driven a lot of big vans a fair bit I was looking for something starting with a high 6 or a low 7
I've found the van I want, the only issue is the cost of a Burstner 580 M-LT (Mercedes base and 6.95m long)

Top Bottom