On street vehicle charging points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Electric cars will be the gateway to self driving vehicles.

Clearly we can't go on with the growth of private cars. More people WFH better public transport and self driving taxis could be the future.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Is this an euphemism for cafes?

icowden

Veteran
Between 150 to 250 miles per day, don’t forget most taxis spend the majority of time sat parked in taxi bays waiting for a fare, even private hire cars sit waiting for jobs so can be parked at a charging point whilst waiting for a job

So if you had a van with a 300 mile range, you'd be happy to switch to electric?

gzoom

Über Member
Clearly we can't go on with the growth of private cars.

That really is the only answer, the fact autonomous driving + EVs will LOWER the cost per trip of taxis is the tipping point needed.

Our cars spend 99% of their lives parked up, when you consider how expensive they are to buy and maintain its a horrific waste of money/resources.

We shall see how autonomous driving develops but Waymo and Tesla are both getting close to beating human drivers interms of safety. Waymo infact is already safer than human drivers by a decent margin.

My daughter is currently 4, I doubt she will ever need to learn to 'drive'. For her generation cars will be summoned to the door, take you where you want to go, and than forgotten about.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...eports-reveal-about-tesla-autox-apple-others/

DRM

Guru
So if you had a van with a 300 mile range, you'd be happy to switch to electric?
I would think it would have to have a 360 mile claimed range (20% more), as like with claimed MPG what the manufacturers say a vehicle can do, is nothing like what actually occurs in real world driving, as has been found in a recent survey which proved that hybrid's actual MPG is far worse than the manufacturers claim, as borne out by my own experience.

DRHysted

Guru
An EV that can do 90% of what my ICE car does currently costs 120% more, and would still require me hiring an ICE vehicle for that 10%. I cannot envision any point in my life finding that extra 120% to be able to purchase an EV, so must hope that my 6 year old diesel burner will continue for as long as I can drive.
shared cars are fine, but would you want to use one after I’ve got back from walking 4 dogs on a wet and muddy forest?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I would think it would have to have a 360 mile claimed range (20% more), as like with claimed MPG what the manufacturers say a vehicle can do, is nothing like what actually occurs in real world driving, as has been found in a recent survey which proved that hybrid's actual MPG is far worse than the manufacturers claim, as borne out by my own experience.
My own experience to date is that the fuel consumption is better, although mine is a PHEV not just a hybrid.
Last September, I parted with my Golf TDI golf, with which I had grown accustomed to an average minimum of 60mpg per tank of fuel, despite over 180k on the odometer. The TDI was replaced with a Golf GTE. VW have a claimed a ridiculous mpg for the car which I knew beforehand was pie in the sky, but never the less, it still beats my old TDI.
Coincidentally, I was checking it yesterday after having to go into work, the car is currently showing 92mpg average since refuelling. (There is around half a tank). Since I bought the car, it has consistently exceeded my former TDI.
Whilst the VW system can be drive and forget it is a hybrid, I do often actively manage it, which may help the mpg.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Those charging points make rather loud humming sounds.

I drive a 13 year old car that I bought 2 years ago. It's petrol and will take me as far as I wish to go for low cost.
I've nearly always bought old cars as family transport, knowing I've got a good chance of fixing things if they go wrong.

I'd say for me to buy a 10+ year old EV would mean, either not being able to go far because the battery is old or the battery would need replacing.
I would suspect this would equal the value of an old car.
I like the idea of EV's but there are a lot of downsides.

An EV that can do 90% of what my ICE car does currently costs 120% more, and would still require me hiring an ICE vehicle for that 10%. I cannot envision any point in my life finding that extra 120% to be able to purchase an EV, so must hope that my 6 year old diesel burner will continue for as long as I can drive.
shared cars are fine, but would you want to use one after I’ve got back from walking 4 dogs on a wet and muddy forest?

Prices will fall with availability. There will be more second hand EVs around.

If someone can drive from Lands End to John O Groats with 90 mins of charging - what are the 10% of journeys you do that an EV couldn't ?

I'd hazard that the self driving taxis would have a place for cargo/muddy dogs.

I doubt private cars would ever be banned but it would be up to individuals. Spend £1000s on the car, fuel, insurance, tax or say £5 every time you make a journey.

It'll make sense for a lot of us to not own a car full time.

I drive a 13 year old car that I bought 2 years ago. It's petrol and will take me as far as I wish to go for low cost.
I've nearly always bought old cars as family transport, knowing I've got a good chance of fixing things if they go wrong.

I'd say for me to buy a 10+ year old EV would mean, either not being able to go far because the battery is old or the battery would need replacing.
I would suspect this would equal the value of an old car.
I like the idea of EV's but there are a lot of downsides.

My electric bill for the car is about 25% of the petrol I put in my 1.2L petrol. There's less to go wrong with an EV as well.

Batteries can be analysed and dodgy cells replaced - it's not that common though so it's pretty rare. I daresay with extra numbers there will be more firms offering this.

icowden

Veteran
I doubt private cars would ever be banned but it would be up to individuals. Spend £1000s on the car, fuel, insurance, tax or say £5 every time you make a journey.

Also, as demand for petrol / diesel falls, the demand for petrol stations decreases and cost of diesel / petrol goes up. There will be fewer places to refil gas guzzlers and it will get more and more expensive. Of course the corollary is that costs of electric charging will likely go up, but possibly not to the levels that oil has now reached. Research on solar is working in tandem with research on battery storage. Musk is already talking about Tesla vans with solar roofs to minimise reliance on the grid and achieve larger ranges.

icowden

Veteran

Yep. But when you drive electric you develop new habits. The car / van starts every day full, unlike your gas guzzler which is only full at the petrol station forecourt. That does make a difference.

Top Bottom