On street vehicle charging points

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm pretty sure that's not necessarily true.

If there's no electricity there won't be a petrol station.

DRM

Guru
If there's no electricity there won't be a petrol station.
As I said, If you are allowed to use it, just as I wouldn't be allowed to fill up with diesel from a company's on site pumps for their vehicles, I can just see them allowing every contractor that turns up to use their electricity to charge someone else's vehicle, not, then there's access to certain sites where they come under ATEX regulations, I'm sure they will welcome an EV on site when you can't even wear a watch, let alone bring a mobile phone on site.

icowden

Veteran
why should I have a charger on my house, using my electricity for someone else’s vehicle, not only that some colleagues live where it will be impossible to charge the thing at home due to having no off street parking, the example of the Nissan that I gave was less than 1 year old, so as a brand new vehicle it wasn’t a shining example it was a pile of crap.

You seriously think that you are going to have to pay to charge someone else's vehicle? If you have no off street parking it's more likely that you will use a ride hailing app. This makes MORE parking. Lamppost charging is being looked into.

The NV100 came out in 2013. It hasn't really been improved since. Even the NV200 is an awful vehicle in terms of EV efficiency by the look of it. That's why Tesla are looking at a Tesla van charged by an ultra efficient rooftop solar (and no- you don't need it to be bright and sunny to get solar energy). If you get a vehicle suitable for your needs you'll be fine. Plus by 2030, battery range will have likely extended significantly.

Trickedem

Guru
I've said this before, car manufacturers have gone about EV's all wrong, they should be designed to accept a removable standard design of battery that is hired, you pull into a battery charging station, open a panel on the car, unplug the battery, they bring a fork lift & remove the battery, stick it in the racking to charge up, bring a fully charged battery back, put it in your car, plug it in & off you go, would take 10 minutes tops, there's also no need for charging leads all over the floor, place an inductive pad in the parking space, the car has one underneath the floor pan, park over the inductive pad, the cable to it is buried under the path, there's a charger at the side of the path, you would have an account that covers the cost to charge up, put your password in to the charger, go do what you have to do whilst your car charges up.
All this is available now for use on electric fork trucks, so they can be used on a 3 shift pattern without stopping for 8 to 12 hours to recharge.
This is a great idea. Have a read of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Place_(company)
I visited them in Israel in 2012. The cars were fantastic to drive and the idea seems perfect.
better place.jpg

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Plus by 2030, battery range will have likely extended significantly.

Recent glacial improvements in range suggest otherwise.

Lithium technology first appeared on ebikes in the early 2000s.

Fast forward 20 years, and the range is still about the same.

However, I agree with @figbat that a current (ho-ho) electric car would work well enough for most of us.

Long journeys might require a slightly longer cafe stop, but on t'other hand you could set out brim full which might be more convenient than having to stop for an early refuel, which I've had to do on a few occasions.

icowden

Veteran
Recent glacial improvements in range suggest otherwise.

How so? The modern EV really only started in 2010 with the Nissan Leaf and its 73 mile range. In 10 years this has improved so that the average range for an EV is now 152 miles for a non luxury EV and 249 for a luxury

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-electric-car-range

Elon Musk reckons that the average for a new car will increase and battery technology will continue to improve quickly. We have only really started buying electric cars in the last 5 years (global EV car stock rose from 1.2 million in 2015 to 7.2 million by 2019. With demand comes research and development.

ICE manufacturers are pulling out of F1 because they can't see any future in ICE technology. The big ICE manufacturers are now fighting to catch up with Tesla, so I'd expect a huge transformation over the next 10 years. My next car will be electric, without a doubt.

DRM

Guru
Range is quite simply down to battery capacity, perhaps in the near future someone will discover a chemical combination that is capable of giving a high power output, over a longer period of time, so that for a smaller physical size, a battery can give an output power similar to the largest capacity battery we currently have, until that time is down to how many ampere hours you squeeze into the vehicle.
so given that range is the problem, until this new battery technology arrives, why not fit cars with a petrol generator connected to the on board charger that starts automatically as soon as battery state of charge drops to 30%, then knocks off at say 80%, but will not function unless the vehicle is moving, and does not run the car, like a hybrids engine can

DRM

Guru
You seriously think that you are going to have to pay to charge someone else's vehicle? If you have no off street parking it's more likely that you will use a ride hailing app. This makes MORE parking. Lamppost charging is being looked into.

The NV100 came out in 2013. It hasn't really been improved since. Even the NV200 is an awful vehicle in terms of EV efficiency by the look of it. That's why Tesla are looking at a Tesla van charged by an ultra efficient rooftop solar (and no- you don't need it to be bright and sunny to get solar energy). If you get a vehicle suitable for your needs you'll be fine. Plus by 2030, battery range will have likely extended significantly.
I’m talking about a company van that I, and my colleagues don’t have private use of,so why should I have a charger on my house for a company vehicle, never mind who initially pays for the power, service engineers will not use a ride hailing app, some of the staff have to park on the roadside as they don’t have a drive, so where will a charger go then, secondly if your on call and the phone goes to drag you out, how are you going to get to site when the van hasn’t had a chance to charge up

figbat

Slippery scientist
...why not fit cars with a petrol generator connected to the on board charger that starts automatically as soon as battery state of charge drops to 30%, then knocks off at say 80%, but will not function unless the vehicle is moving, and does not run the car, like a hybrids engine can
You mean a range extender? A few cars have had this but they have largely come and gone. you are carrying around a generator and fuel tank ‘just in case’, soaking up space and weight that could be more battery.

On the subject of better batteries, one concern is how quickly you can fill them. Pumping electricity down a cable creates heat which increases resistance which is a loss of energy; too much heat also kills batteries. To help you can actively cool the charger and cable and battery and you can increase the cross-section of the charging cable, but all this is at the expense of weight, complexity, ease of use and, well, expense. Fastest mooted chargers at the moment are 350kW. That’s 470 horsepower. That’s a lot of power to move about.

DRM

Guru
You mean a range extender? A few cars have had this but they have largely come and gone. you are carrying around a generator and fuel tank ‘just in case’, soaking up space and weight that could be more battery.

On the subject of better batteries, one concern is how quickly you can fill them. Pumping electricity down a cable creates heat which increases resistance which is a loss of energy; too much heat also kills batteries. To help you can actively cool the charger and cable and battery and you can increase the cross-section of the charging cable, but all this is at the expense of weight, complexity, ease of use and, well, expense. Fastest mooted chargers at the moment are 350kW. That’s 470 horsepower. That’s a lot of power to move about.
Which is why I would hazard a guess that the charger cables will be 75mm2 cable, the charger will have a built in cooling fan, they all do, as for heat, it wrecks li-ion batteries, but opportunity charging lead acid batteries ruins those even more, but cars don’t have those, the charger cable cross section should be chosen to not be so thin as to be a resistor, as should the charger capacity, most heat problems come from worn plug connectors though, or loose bolts on cable fittings, if the connectors are bolted down correctly they shouldn’t cause a problem, which is also why EV’s are running around a 400 volt traction battery, ie increase the voltage to decrease the current, most electric fork trucks are 48 volt, some of the larger ones are 80 volt, only powered pallet trucks run on 24 volts, other than a small Toyota counterbalance that’s a 24 volt truck too, but it’s designed for light use only.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
How so? The modern EV really only started in 2010 with the Nissan Leaf and its 73 mile range. In 10 years this has improved so that the average range for an EV is now 152 miles for a non luxury EV and 249 for a luxury

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/average-electric-car-range

Elon Musk reckons that the average for a new car will increase and battery technology will continue to improve quickly. We have only really started buying electric cars in the last 5 years (global EV car stock rose from 1.2 million in 2015 to 7.2 million by 2019. With demand comes research and development.

ICE manufacturers are pulling out of F1 because they can't see any future in ICE technology. The big ICE manufacturers are now fighting to catch up with Tesla, so I'd expect a huge transformation over the next 10 years. My next car will be electric, without a doubt.

Range improvements have come by fitting ever larger batteries, there has been next to no improvement in energy density.

Tesla's still being built battery factory is producing lithium cells, as will the proposed one in Northumberland.

Predicting huge improvements in the next few years is a triumph of hope over reasonable expectation.

icowden

Veteran
Range improvements have come by fitting ever larger batteries, there has been next to no improvement in energy density.

Again, I think Tesla would disagree with you:-

Chandrasekaran said the Tesla Model 3 features “one of the most advanced battery packs in the automotive industry” with an energy density of 160 Wh/kg, ensuring the pack makes up around a quarter of the vehicle’s weight, at around 480kg.

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2020/02...d-faster-charging-would-unlock-ev-revolution/

Tesla had some good news last month after Panasonic managed to improve the energy density of its 2170 lithium-ion cells. It resulted in an improved range for both the Model 3 and Model Y. However, four years from now those gains are expected to be 50 percent higher.

https://uk.pcmag.com/infotainment-s...energy-density-to-increase-50-percent-by-2024

At 2020 Tesla Battery day:-

Improved Battery Cells
A new battery cell was announced which is slightly larger (and even more efficient) than the one used in current cars like the Model S and the Model X.

The new battery cell named the 46-80 is a ‘tabless’ battery design and gets its name from the dimensions of the cell. The new battery cell would give 5x the energy, 6x more power and should enable a 16% range increase. Elon went on to say the new battery cell is close to working but there is still a lot of work to be done between now and when it can go into production.

Given the amount of potential demand for EVs and the R&D being put in, we are going to see better batteries.

icowden

Veteran
I’m talking about a company van that I, and my colleagues don’t have private use of,so why should I have a charger on my house for a company vehicle, never mind who initially pays for the power, service engineers will not use a ride hailing app, some of the staff have to park on the roadside as they don’t have a drive, so where will a charger go then, secondly if your on call and the phone goes to drag you out, how are you going to get to site when the van hasn’t had a chance to charge up

No one said you had to have a house charger. On street charging is being looked at. The potential of using lampposts as chargers for example.
Whataboutery doesn't cut it. You change some of your habits, you don't run out of charge.

There is a taxi firm in Cornwall that run a pure EV fleet of Nissan Leafs.

https://greenfleet.net/features/24102014/electric-savings-cornwall-cab-firm

If you can run a taxi fleet using EVs then company vans should be fairly straightforward. How many miles do you normally drive per day in your van?

Top Bottom