On the bike strength training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
As a final word, I'm going to link to the other two threads on this topic (which are still on page 1) - and respectfully suggest that we only post new material and new links from now on. That should keep the page count down a bit.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/weight-training.182371/
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/squats.183923/
Well that went well? Final word :rofl:

I still maintain there is a net benefit to leg training, and there are far more scientific studies that support this notion than the few that counter it.

I am in and then I am out of this thread.

This was my favourite one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19855311

OP
OP
50000tears

50000tears

This thread is so horribly derailed beyond return!

As the OP I would like to say that I did not want a discussion about gym or other weight work to strengthen legs as I don't believe in it anyway. If people can find there way back to page I was asking about on the bike low cadence training in order to greater condition (or strengthen if you prefer) the legs. But there was also a discussion to be had on any benefits if any to the notion of full rotation pedalling; although I did tend to agree with Citius on this one point at least!

The theory of having better conditioned legs is that they would take longer to fatigue thus allowing a bigger gear, more power, to be used for longer. So the question is would riding in a way to quickly overload and stress the legs create enough stress to cause the adaptation desired? From everything I have read over the last day of so and before that is that it is as yet unproven as to the benefits. Or at least no up to date study available either way.

Citius

The theory of having better conditioned legs is that they would take longer to fatigue thus allowing a bigger gear, more power, to be used for longer. So the question is would riding in a way to quickly overload and stress the legs create enough stress to cause the adaptation desired?

I think the consensus is that it may do, but the adaptions and the outcome would not necessarily be any different than riding at normal cadence in a more appropriate gear. Either way, the same muscle fibres are recruited. So in other words, either would work. So on that basis, it would be logical to apply the rule of specificity and do the thing you would normally do, rather than do something different for the same effect. Coggan addressed this in one of the articles I linked to earlier.

It is also important to stress that the ability to ride in a bigger gear for longer is a function of sustainable power production (FTP, aerobic capacity, cardiovascular capability, Vo2 Max, lactate tolerance, etc, etc), not leg conditioning or leg strength, as I said before.

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
It seems that certain words are "inappropriate" on CC although name calling is fine it seems.

Anyway, as I said earlier what words and concepts mean is important so we must make a distinction between training and the race or event you are training for, the original question was regarding training.
i.e. would the on the bike exercise stated help in the training phase? Would this exercise help in building the capability to ride harder and faster on race day?

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Mod note: Off-topic posts have been deleted.

It seems that certain words are "inappropriate" on CC although name calling is fine it seems.
@ayceejay - name calling is not fine, but it has to be reported before we can take action - the moderators do not read all threads.

Moderators

Legendary Member
The Thread seems to have reached a reasonable/ acceptable level of agreement/ agreement to differ and this indicates a good time to Close it - before it descends into finer nit-picking, demands for more detailed references, complaints
about the references being too
old/ unsubstantiated/ 'misunderstood' or even name- calling or personal abuse … :ohmy:

Thank you for your contributions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom