On the subject of spectacles...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
-5.25/-5.75
I feel really blind without my specs on. I can see coloured shapes and moving masses but that is about it.
I do tend to take the specs off more often now for looking at things less then 6" away, any further and I can't focus on it.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Used to be -6.25/-6.5 but had laser treatment at Moorfields 8 years go, now -0.25 in both eyes. Yippee!

Cubist

Still wavin'
-.75 /-.75, but with astigmatisms. My world is a rugby ball, and my face looks fatter in the mirror if i put my glasses on!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I find it interesting that things look bigger when I take my glasses off or wear contacts. Women gain a couple of dress sizes and stairs look dangerous. Also I can't type as fast with contacts in as the keyboard looks bigger.

pw2389

derall said:
There's a farm near Aylesbury rears Alpaca. Gave me quite a surprise when I saw it poking its head above the hedge last week. Not the sort of thing you really expect in rural Buckinghamshire...

Is that the one near Aston Abbotts? It had the same effect on me when I went past it a couple of years ago on one of my day rides.

My prescription: I think it's -1/+0.25 (just like Pszycoman).

tyred

Legendary Member
Not sure what my perscription is but I'm half blind without my specs. I've worn them since I was about 6. The only good thing is that when I had my eyes tested last year, the optician said my eyes hadn't deteriorated since the last eye test two years previously and I didn't need new specs. That is surely good news??

derall

Guru
Had my eyes tested last week, and the consultation ended with the dreaded words

You're going to need bi-focals.

This I was hoping to keep for when the bald patch was bigger than the grey patch, but oh no, that sod of an optician had to kick me when I was down. Mid Life Crisis, here I come.

Short-sighted I'm -1.75 / -2.75 with a -1.25 astigmatism on both, though the astigmatism is on a completely different axis on each, which makes things look a bit weird.
Long sighted I'm +1.25 / +1.25

Translated into varifocal glasses that equates to £403. Still in shock (and somewhat disorientated as I get used to the varifocals).

yoyo

I have found varifocals excellent, but the cost is somewhat disorientating!!

surfgurl

I'm about -3 to -4, can't remember what exactly.
I went two years ago aged 28 and got a new prescription. The optician said I would find my eyesight wouldn't change much until I was in my forties, but I should still get regular eyetests because of my Mum's eye history. Low and behold I went a few months ago and it had got worse enough to need new glasses.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
User1314 said:
I don't need specs. But I do have floaters in my right eye. Irritating when staring at a light background. Bang goes my career as an England Batsman.

Don't give up all hope, England are desperate. I'm going for Ian Bell's place but you can come in for Collingwood if you like.

Top Bottom