On what hill did it force you to ride at your LOWEST cadence ever ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
In the 1980's, on my rides in the Welsh mountains with a lowest gear of 48T front and 24T rear, I got off and pushed many times during a long day out.

The 'B' road from Betws-y-coed to Conwy is carved indelibly into my memory, even after a very pleasant lunch in a Betws-y-coed cafe.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The 'B' road from Betws-y-coed to Conwy is carved indelibly into my memory, . . .
Big ring ride going north up the Conwy valley's west side with a gentle undulation after Tyn-y-Groes. Another road etched in your memory perhaps?
1695136392353.png

The aptly named Gloom Hill saw me at circa 42rpm it averages over 15% and is supposed to be over 25% at the top. (2010 with a 39-25 ratio) https://www.strava.com/segments/983273

More recently with lower gearing (2021 with a 34-28ratio) I was 49rpm on the Masca climb; probably lowered by track standing at congestion points :-D https://www.strava.com/segments/673830

According to strava, Masca averages 29.5% for 0.22miles in the middle, my cadence though was marginally higher cadence wise at 50rpm https://www.strava.com/segments/4991010

Jody

Stubborn git
Chapel gate coming out of Edale is apparently only 14% max but that was a tough old climb

The other would be a short road section in Coed Y Brenin. No idea of the gradient but we struggled to walk up it. At times it felt comically steep.

EckyH

Every b**dy hill I go up (unless it's really gentle)?
Can comprehend that.
Three weeks ago the conviction over a through road (similar to an A-Road) caused cramps in both upper thighs.
Perhaps it wasn't helpful that I didn't have breakfast nor lunch that day and just two cups of white coffee were a bit sparsely for hydration...
it wasn't the hill alone but my own stupidity was the main culprit...

E.

Tomm Williams

There is a local hill I’ve yet to try, Its the steepest I’ve ever seen in the area at a rating of 19% by a county marker. It’s only about 150 yards long but would not surprise me if sections might be over 20% by a touch.
I’ve zero doubt that would be a snail grinder for me and I have exceptional gearing for climbing with a 34t chainring and 52t cassette.

Alex321

Veteran
Slight route mis-calculation took me up a very steep (15-20%) gravelly lane a couple of times in Wales - on 39x26 - I walked - took shoes off and pushed. Gone are the days doing 20% on a 42x21 with 30 rpm - I'm not 20 anymore.

Hardest recently was Mam Nick that's about 16% and windy, but again it's on a 39x26. It was a grind, but I got up. I've got a CX bike now, as well, with a 34x32, which will get up most stuff quite easily, far easier than my two road bikes.

The lowest gear on my road bike is a 34x32 ("compact" 50/34 chainset, 11-32 cassette).

I have no idea what my lowest cadence is, because if I'm working that hard, I'm not looking at the Wahoo in that detail. And it has gone into auto-pause when I've been at the slowest anyhow. It will probably be somweher between 20 and 40 RPM, but that is as much as I can say, until I get around to getting a new camera for the bike.

[EDIT] Just looked up one of my rides up Witches Hill, and the loest cadennce was recorded as 47, so maybe not quite as low as I suggested there.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have no idea what my lowest cadence is, because if I'm working that hard, I'm not looking at the Wahoo in that detail. And it has gone into auto-pause when I've been at the slowest anyhow. It will probably be somweher between 20 and 40 RPM,
[EDIT] Just looked up one of my rides up Witches Hill, and the loest cadence was recorded as 47, so maybe not quite as low as I suggested there.
I wonder over what period a Garmin (or whatever) averages cadence. The display flashes to zero within a couple of seconds after ceasing pedalling and comes back up to a believable number very quickly when ceasing freewheeling.
Clearly at the crux of a climb a rider's balance will determine how close to a track stand they can cope with.

I feel some experimentation coming on, but the jeopardy is as @IanH describes, going to the top-of-dead-centre brink, clipped in.
Climbing Wrynose (below) going west was interesting: I was getting chain suck and when that happens on a steep climb , you're down, albeit at 0kph. Had to manage Hardknott immediately after in the middle ring (42t) so 37" gear.
large.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Posting in another thread, reminded me of this hill near to home. The well known beast that is Cudham Hill. Very slow going as not only is it 25%, it's on a bend and also thrown in for good measure, on a camber. Makes for a very slow cadence ascent.
_nc_ohc=O49CyKGD1GIAX_zbQg0&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

Solocle

Über Member
Hardknott Pass. So low and slow I ended up having to walk bits.
q5FmOexdAoenUTEgbCyLaXzxFkd_8r0ctkOL1ZUU-1536x2048.jpg

The local fun little hill is Gold Hill, but although it's over 20% and cobbled, it's short enough that you can just attack it and power up it, so the cadence never drops too low.
z5q7EXbU3oRagBfOQ6Ui_0J8Ruc7fY_mG0jYkW-g-2048x1536.jpg

Top Bottom