On what hill did it force you to ride at your LOWEST cadence ever ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Mow Cop is a nice hill climb.

Here's a pic last year of my old 1980's Reynolds 531 steel competition bike about half way up Mow Cop, I had got off to take this picture then rode to the top.

I don't see any problem riding extremely slowly up steep gradients with modern 42t or 46t rear low gears. I'm an old bloke, so why struggle?

mow-cop-1-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

Hardknott Pass. So low and slow I ended up having to walk bits.
View attachment 707278
The local fun little hill is Gold Hill, but although it's over 20% and cobbled, it's short enough that you can just attack it and power up it, so the cadence never drops too low.
View attachment 707279

Is that the hill Ronnie Barker and the hovis loaf of bread made famous ?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Mow Cop is a nice hill climb.

Here's a pic last year of my old 1980's Reynolds 531 steel competition bike about half way up Mow Cop, I had got off to take this picture then rode to the top.

I don't see any problem riding extremely slowly up steep gradients with modern 42t or 46t rear low gears. I'm an old bloke, so why struggle?

View attachment 707282

Yeah right. I normally use "just need to admire the view" !! ;)

OP
OP
G

Guitars and Bikes

I was riding up the 25% section of Mytholm Steeps, Hebden Bridge (after the 15% bits, after the 20% bits, and before the nasty 30+% LH bend) when I decided that I ought to check that I could unclip if I had to on a future ride... :whistle:

View attachment 707346

View attachment 707347

@GuyBoden has said that he would love to test one of his mega-sprockets on that climb one day...

Yikes a ride on the inside line of that bend would result in some gnashing of teeth

Jameshow

Veteran
Yea did it last summer shade over 45mins!🤣🤣🤣

Oops wrong thread thinking of that Spanish hill on the other thread!

Last edited:

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
I did the Maratona without realising I was coming down with COVID. Passo Giau (10km at 10%) took me just under 2 hours. Cadence was in the 40s all the way up, but didn't stop.
Uphill Slowly

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Winnat's, in 1979 on a 5-speed imitation racing bike (46x14-28), on the way back to Manchester for year 3 of uni.
I was just someone who rode a bike for commuting at the time, & hadn't been able to leave the bike in Manchester over the summer.
I thought I was going to pull the handlebars off.

In terms of uphill slowly, taking 4 hours for 22 km @ 5% comes to mind.
My excuses are a gravel road, a 25 mph headwind, and that the top was at 5200m

Last edited:
Top Bottom