One bike to rule them all, one bike to find them, one bike to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Doitall bike would be the modern lightweight adventure/ gravel/ touring bike pref with sliding dropouts and split chainstay for belt adaption. It would have enough off road trail performance, can carry a shopping load and makes a decent all weather commuter.
For me this general purpose machine should be the generic "bike" that people get by default unless they specifically want a road race or mtb bike.

Doesn't exist, at least not for me.

A bike that could this type of riding well...

20171121035939_RandoSkillsMAG-6.jpg

...is going to be terrible for rides like this...

preview.jpg

...and vice versa. And I enjoy both types of riding and I wouldn't want one bike that would either excel at one and fail at the other, or one bike, like a rigid mtb that could handle both types of riding, but not well or be fun at all.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
My all purpose tourer!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
My all purpose tourer!
Yep, me too... hard to beat a tourer with some decent tyres on it, it's like a road bike but far more comfortable, and it can carry a load of stuff, like beer and food and tents, and you can ride it down a rough track without worrying, and in pretty much all weather without getting filthy legs. The tourer is the do it all bike!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I was thinking of something like the Whyte Sussex I had a few years ago. Robust enough & with 28mm tyres for light off roading (bridle paths, Rutland Water), took full mudguards for commuting & wet weather rides and comfortable for the longer leisure ride. If it had hydraulic brakes and a better groupset I may have still had it.

The nearest thing that Whyte do now is the Wessex V1 but that's over £2k now!

Top Bottom