One day you will have bike like this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
We all have our phobias and obsessions, don't we? Mine stems from years of hearing my soft alloy mountain bike rims being worn away to paste by our Lancashire grit. Once I picked up a big piece of grit in a brake block and in a few minutes the grit sliced a deep groove in the braking surface and wrecked the rim. I got pretty good at changing the rims by taping the new one alongside the old and transferring the spokes over one by one.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH, I view rim's as expendable. That is why, for an everyday knock around training wheel, I go would go cheapish wheelset (or a decent hub laced to a readily available and cost efficient rim with readily available spokes so I could have them rebuilt with new rims every so often and easily replace spokes). For a racing or weekend warrior wheel I might buy something nicer (been lusting after some Cosmic Elite's or some Ksyrium Elites), but use it more selectively.

I have been riding on Shimano RS10 wheels for 3 years now, they are just starting to go out of true a bit and the front hub is a bit grabby. But for a sub-£100 wheelset, they are great training wheels (I have read bad reviews about them but so far, they have been good to me)! I also have some Fulcrum Racing 7's, but haven't really used them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
disc brakes work predictably all the time
rim brakes 'work' predictably some of the time, pass the koolstops someone please, it's raining.

If you're a nine-stone racing snake you won't care, if you pootle about you won't care either, if you're a big unit, or ride fast in all weathers in all sorts of traffic conditions you might care more.

apart from that, it is all hot air and personal taste. Discs on-road going bikes are here to stay, but road cyclists are a conservative bunch so adoption will be slow.

If you're a nine-stone racing snake you won't care, if you pootle about you won't care either, if you're a big unit, or ride fast in all weathers in all sorts of traffic conditions you might care more.

so in other words - your level of concern is directly proportional to your level of awesomeness..??

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Too much braking thats the problem. Don't brake look after your rims. Easy peasy.

Spot on Chief. I clean my rims thoroughly every month and after every wet ride, and I clean the brake pads and pick out those shiny bits of grit. Also as I posted above, I don't actually use the brakes much on the roadie!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
In my pic albums HERE (scroll down)

Pictures still do not do the bike justice imho, the colour pops more in real life than it does in photo's and the alloy has a more chrome like appearance.
Please reassure me that I'm not deluded and my memory of the bike is correct :headshake:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Pictures still do not do the bike justice imho, the colour pops more in real life than it does in photo's and the alloy has a more chrome like appearance.
Please reassure me that I'm not deluded and my memory of the bike is correct :headshake:

My friend.. your memory is indeed correct. The colour is a metallic flecked green and yes the alloys do have a chrome appearance.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Saw an Orbea this morning. Full carbon road bike, with full length mudguards and disc brakes.
Looked really nice as I passed it on my single speed with rack and trunk bag.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Nope. But once you've tried discs you'll rarely want to ride another rim braked bike again, if you've an open mind that is.
I beg to differ. Each of disc and rim brakes have their positive and their negative aspects. With both on the same bike I can feel very little difference in their stopping power and their responsiveness.

Top Bottom