One day you will have bike like this...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
... because this is the future
I sincerely hope not. Discs are not just necessary on a road bike IMO. I've used various hydraulic discs over the years when I rode MTB's, and yes they are really very good, but having also ridden road bikes for many more years I have never once felt I needed disc brake stopping power.

So I for one hope that rim brakes will always be available, (and I'm sure they will), apart from anything else they just look right. I can appreciate discs on CX bikes, but not road bikes, no need at all IME.

Normal cable pull disc brakes though, not Hydraulic.

Get some Hope Minis on it with the Hope V-Twin adapter for road levers. Works a dream & much better than the BB7's they replaced.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I beg to differ. Each of disc and rim brakes have their positive and their negative aspects. With both on the same bike I can feel very little difference in their stopping power and their responsiveness.
Do you only ride your bicycle in the dry?

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I sincerely hope not. Discs are not just necessary on a road bike IMO. I've used various hydraulic discs over the years when I rode MTB's, and yes they are really very good, but having also ridden road bikes for many more years I have never once felt I needed disc brake stopping power.

So I for one hope that rim brakes will always be available, (and I'm sure they will), apart from anything else they just look right. I can appreciate discs on CX bikes, but not road bikes, no need at all IME.

You're just worried about getting disc brakes in black an red to match Rhianna!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Do you only ride your bicycle in the dry?
As Greg will know, no. And we're not talking about some frivolously light carbon road bike either, we're talking about a tandem.

VamP

Banned
number of entrants in round 1 of my local cyclocross league = 200
number of riders I saw on disk-braked CX bikes = 1

And we are now in the second season where disks have been permitted in races. I suspect the same will be true if/when disks come to amateur road racing. At that level, most people are wise enough to realise that all brakes have to do is work - the brake itself makes sod all difference to your overall performance. Currently,at least, the demand from competitors doesn't seem to be there...

200 :eek:

The pros haven't been rushing to switch either, and they don't have the budgetary implications of replacing all the tub wheelsets to worry about...
I note that the manufacturers have now moved away from the argument of better braking performance, to mud clogging and rim buckling advantages instead.

VamP

Banned
That's total entries in all categories. 101 starters in the senior race...

Phew. We had 180 in a CL and LL joint event last year. Carnage.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I see they haven't changed the huge design flaw of disc brakes, which is that under braking, the caliper wants to pull the wheel out of its dropouts.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've been switching between rim and disk brakes for several years now - but in that time, it's never occurred to me that my road bikes need more stopping power..
Whereas my experience of loaded touring and being a big unit makes me loath and detest rim brakes on a regular basis

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As Greg will know, no. And we're not talking about some frivolously light carbon road bike either, we're talking about a tandem.
In fact Team W on a tandem were awarded the 'disc braked bike I'd most like to draught behind as the rain gods rage at me' award for 2012.
I beg to differ. Each of disc and rim brakes have their positive and their negative aspects. With both on the same bike I can feel very little difference in their stopping power and their responsiveness.

But I wouldn't agree with that. But then it is a very subjective thing, I think.

Whereas my experience of loaded touring and being a big unit makes me loath and detest rim brakes on a regular basis

In which case, we are clearly talking at cross-purposes. There is nothing to prevent you from riding a disk-equipped tourer right now - and by the sounds of it, you probably do. My understanding was that this thread was about road/racing bikes...

Top Bottom