One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A brace of Morris minor Travellers

D1CC0B38-0A49-478A-82FB-C057A5274021.jpeg
, both nice condition, but regularly used too

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't think so as it didn't say Vitesse on thr back. Not 100% sure though as I didn't go round the front. There were Herald soft tops as well as Vitesse. And it's pretty easy to turn a saloon into a soft top for either. I suspect my own Vitesse was a conversion from a saloon.

I seem to remember rostyle type wheels on mine

Yeah someone could have modified the car but they're not Herald wheels, my dad had one in the 70's. Beggar to start in a morning though, the location of the carb just above the exhaust manifold meant it boiled the float bowl dry (Kettleing) and with a manual fuel pump it took ages to fill it up again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Yeah someone could have modified the car but they're not Herald wheels, my dad had one in the 70's. Beggar to start in a morning though, the location of the carb just above the exhaust manifold meant it boiled the float bowl dry (Kettleing) and with a manual fuel pump it took ages to fill it up again.

Mine (Vitesse) started perfectly every time hot or cold. Problem with mine was overheating, even after replacing the radiator. It was fine on a run but would boil over once you stopped. I used to carry two gallons of water with me: one to chuck over the engine to cool it enough to safely remove the radiator cap (I know, bad practice but I always got away without cracking the engine), and second gallon to refill.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The 13/60 had front wings squared like that too

From memory I think it was J reg so a late one.
Re: wheels, whilst I mentioned Rostyles earlier I think my own 68 Vitesse had fairly plain pressed steel wheels, which may or may not be what it left the factory with

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Mine (Vitesse) started perfectly every time hot or cold. Problem with mine was overheating, even after replacing the radiator. It was fine on a run but would boil over once you stopped. I used to carry two gallons of water with me: one to chuck over the engine to cool it enough to safely remove the radiator cap (I know, bad practice but I always got away without cracking the engine), and second gallon to refill.

Aye but that's the Vitesse with a 6 cyl motor (either 1600 or 2000 cc) so different carb set-ups
There were multiple cars using the same chassis and similar engines from the Herald/Vitesse to the GT6 and of course the Spitfire, some of the last cars to use a separate chassis and body so pretty easy to design a new body and stick it on the standard running gear

Gunk

Guru
It’s a Colby Mitchell kit car, they built about 50 between 1971 and ‘72

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm going to look at moggie traveller locally!

Would be a nice project....

I agree that a Moggie has a lot of appeal. A pal had a rather nice van version some years back; an ex-police dog van apparently. Never drove it but had quite a few rides in it. I'd quite fancy a sensitively modernised version with (say) a 1340cc twin carb but still A series engine and maybe an overdrive gearbox off something of the same era like a Triumph. With modern tyres that would be decent practical vehicle without mucking about with it excessively

Top Bottom