One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'd love to own a Supermirafiori!
Until MOT time, I owned one in the mid to late 80's when it was 10ish years old, got it in exchange for some work I'd done & the guy was skint, it didn't run as there had been an electric fire in the glovebox, or at least a melting of a lot of wires. I spliced all the wires back as they should with new & got it running again, came with 9 months MOT so happily used it, awesome engine, would outrun any Ford or Vauxhall, towed the caravan great, that was until I took it for it's MOT.

He started & less than 5 minutes in he shouted over to me "Are you serious about me testing this?" Why asked I, "Come over here & I'll show you" I went over, he'd got the bonnet up, he had me put my feet either side of the front wheel, then said "Look down there, can you see your feet?" "Yes" was my response, "Well you're not supposed to be able too, that's where the inner wing should be" His exact words could not be typed on a public forum, but I'm sure you get the idea.

Fantastic mechanicals, but naff electrics & very hungry tin worm

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My daughter (18) has been taking pics of these mundane 70's cars like they are the coolest thing she's ever seen!

Aye, Maz's Grand Daughters think my old Thorens Turntable is fantastic. :becool:

Cavalol

Legendary Member
Yes, to my shame I used to run my L20p on that very stuff. It was about £12 for 20 litres from Costco, so in effect half price fuel.

Likewise, was about the same when I ran the 306 on it. To be honest, it's not massively (in the general scheme of things) more now. My local chippy gets it for me at £15 for 20 litres. The Ford Galaxy doesn't mind it too much, but it needs diesel in the mix too, whereas the 306 would run veg oil only and did exactly that for 3,000 blissful miles.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Some yank tanks spotted at Sywell airfield this morning

IMG_20190727_074713507.jpg
IMG_20190727_074710319.jpg
IMG_20190727_074654229.jpg

And then this huge estate wagon

IMG_20190727_074545228.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Met up with an old mate last Friday pm

He has a nice collection of cars including 1 of these https://www.evo.co.uk/features/15474/25-years-of-the-mercedes-benz-190e-25-16-evolution-ii it's one of 5 in the Uk and meant to be the only 1 in the Uk in regular use .

I didn't take a picture of his but here is one from Google

View attachment 477484

I know it takes all sorts, but I can't help thinking that's a respectable taxi that someone has glued a load of fiberglass tat onto - and I know it isn't really
The chromy mercs from 10 (or more) years previously on the other hand are very pretty

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I saw these two in Bristol. I haven't seen one of these for ages. My Dad had an orange one in the 80's that was killed in a knock-for-knock head on collision in a single lane country road with a Volvo 244 estate. Front engine Volvo tank 1, Rear engine VW, 0.

This colour is better than orange and its in great condition, a VW Variant. I've never seen a car with its own sun visor before^_^.
8Xf0wIQ.jpg

And this is not classic but made me laugh out loud. A Nissan Micra with a Rolls Royce front grill and a Jetsons style bubble in the roof.:laugh:
MIKiUbo.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
...I haven't seen one of these for ages. My Dad had an orange one in the 80's that was killed in a knock-for-knock head on collision in a single lane country road with a Volvo 244 estate. Front engine Volvo tank 1, Rear engine VW, 0.

This colour is better than orange and its in great condition, a VW Variant. I've never seen a car with its own sun visor before^_^.
View attachment 477619
I once owned its big brother, an early 2-door 411 in 2-tone blue.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:VW411L.jpg

tyred

Legendary Member
I saw these two in Bristol. I haven't seen one of these for ages. My Dad had an orange one in the 80's that was killed in a knock-for-knock head on collision in a single lane country road with a Volvo 244 estate. Front engine Volvo tank 1, Rear engine VW, 0.

View attachment 477619

I'd like one of those. A Beetle with more practicality added in. What's not to like.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
These used to be everywhere but I don't see many of them anymore. A Rover P6, which Wiki just informed me was the winner of the first ever European Car of the Year in 1964. This is a 1971 version with the manual transmission and the V8 engine.

It's no wonder my perception of growing up in the 70's is drab with an awful colour palette. We were surrounded by colour abominations everywhere, the car and sofa colours from this period clearly still haunt me:laugh:. Seriously what car manufacturer these days would consider releasing a car in a brown and beige colour scheme? But despite that I like the look of it and think its aged well, and this one is seemingly in great condition.
yUiam1T.jpg

Dh8rnkd.jpg

Top Bottom