One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
View attachment 479194
Not many of these left in the UK I suspect...this one is an Opel Calibra in Gran Canaria.
I remember when they were new, a supplier we used to use had one...bugger just goes he said, heck of a job to keep to the speed limits if you didn't concentrate on doing so.

There's a Caliba in our village. The turbo was a flying machine, but fragile. The early V6 was nearly as powerful and quite tough, bit later ones were dropped to 170ish BHP.

A mates dad had a Calibra Turbo back in the day. Hugely fast, but he got rid of it after getting it back from being TWOC'ed three times in under 6 months of ownership.

gbb

Legendary Member
A mates dad had a Calibra Turbo back in the day. Hugely fast, but he got rid of it after getting it back from being TWOC'ed three times in under 6 months of ownership.
There were some ridiculously fast, reasonably unassuming cars in say the 90s compared to a few years earlier. While I dont know what engine was in the Calibra turbo, we had a 2 litre Cavalier at work non turbo, petrol, not particually badged as anything special...but it s acceleration was ridiculous for what looked like a pretty standard car, absolutely shocked me at the time compared to the stuff I'd been driving. So what a turbo Calibra went like I dread to think.

Drago

Legendary Member
Calibra turbo had a very beefy 2 litre 16 valive with a turbo, a very effective (if fragile) 4wd system, and 205 BHP. They stuck it into a Cavalier as well for photocopier salesman in a real hurry.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A couple of classics from the Science Museum yesterday. The beginning for mass produced cars, a Model T Ford.
OejmGt7.jpg

I've posted some nice old Rover's recently, and here's an interesting Rover, a gas turbine car, the Rover JET1.
hg4Hprp.jpg

A couple of classics from the Science Museum yesterday. The beginning for mass produced cars, a
I've posted some nice old Rover's recently, and here's an interesting Rover, a gas turbine car, the Rover JET1.
View attachment 479790

It's been a long time favourite of mine

Did you ever see 'Chop Shop' (TV programme) when they made a replica?
Jools Holland bought it!!!

booze and cake

probably out cycling
Some nice classics in Waterloo today. I've never seen one of these before, a BMW 501
VTHA4X4.jpg

A Jowett Javelin
GqdL9Yd.jpg

,,,which looks very like the VW Beetle from the back.
kyDk028.jpg

A very cool Datsun 240Z
tQyAl5H.jpg

1FoD5gh.jpg

Notice the trailer in the above pic, extra boot space for a Fiat 500^_^
vvll4Pv.jpg

A lovely shiny original Mercedes 180
fp6t2FO.jpg

zS7topu.jpg

Look its a mud skipper^_^, a Messerschmitt 3 wheeler.
FqP34nm.jpg

A mint condition Saab Turbo convertible in British racing green, very nice.
9cdE1JZ.jpg

I photographed the very rare GT version of this car earlier in this thread, and I've never seen one of these before either, another one from the Pinifarina stable, another looker too, a Lancia Flaminia 28.
qGiUhvx.jpg

85st11C.jpg

And to finish a beautiful Aston Martin V8 Vantage convertible.
smIT8kp.jpg

YjtGD3v.jpg

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Wow - some lovely cars there. The Lancia is a stunner. Love the wee Fiat 500 trailer! Is it just me, or is there something more than a tad Jaguar-esque about that BMW?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Wow - some lovely cars there. The Lancia is a stunner. Love the wee Fiat 500 trailer! Is it just me, or is there something more than a tad Jaguar-esque about that BMW?
Other than the white XK 120 behind it. :whistle:

Drago

Legendary Member
A modern classic for you. My Dad's C70 T5 which has come out to play now the sun has arrived. Owned since new, only 44k miles. He tried the R but it was too much engine for the chassis. The T5 isn't a slouch but is much better balanced. Alas, I'm not insured on this one currently, but I have driven it in the past.

IMG_20190822_104923871_HDR.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
Watched a program on TV the other night, old stuff being sold at auction, there was a 1960s Mini Cooper (maybe an S)...on a pallet, an absolute wreck, wings and sills as good as gone, engine exposed and lots of dirt and corrosion, it looked like it couldnt even support itself on its wheels, the owner or auctioneer wouldnt even let someone take a photo of the VIN plate for fear of cloning, ....sold in a room of extraordinarily avid fans and collectors.....£17K :ohmy:.
Once restored, probably with a new shell as a start, considered to be worth £40K MINIMUM.

Calibra turbo had a very beefy 2 litre 16 valive with a turbo, a very effective (if fragile) 4wd system, and 205 BHP. They stuck it into a Cavalier as well for photocopier salesman in a real hurry.
I'm sure a distant memory tells me that West Yorkshire Police 'Traffic' had a few as all-weather cars

WYP also did tried the Monaro, when it first came to this country
Sadly, at that time, the saloon wasn't imported, as that may have been an excellent Omega replacement (even more so, if they could have persuaded Vauxhall to import the estate!!!)

Even more sadly, the bean-counters didn't like it, fools...…………...

I have it on good authority, that it emptied the workshops, & offices, everytime it was started up, & revved:okay:^_^

Top Bottom