One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Different folks, different strokes
Agreed, I've never driven a comfortable Land Rover yet, they are a utility workshorse I understand that, fantastic & what they can do, but I lust after one as much as a hole in my head, unless you have a farm I cannot see the appeal.

rustyroger

I love the headlight assemblies and the mirrors, the bumper must weigh a ton!
They had to withstand a 5 mph impact without damage, so yes they do weigh a fair bit. Not as heavy as you might think though, much of it is empty space with a plastic cover.

Roger.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Is this a left hand drive imported back to the UK? It certainly looks like a British registration of the right year. But the wipers are set for lhd models.

In what way are the the wipers set for lhd models?
They look the right way for rhd to me.
The driver's side (rhd) wiper ends it's wipe with the blade parallel to the A pillar which is best for vision from the driving position.

rustyroger

In what way are the the wipers set for lhd models?
They look the right way for rhd to me.
The driver's side (rhd) wiper ends it's wipe with the blade parallel to the A pillar which is best for vision from the driving position.
You are quite correct, sweeping to the A pillar is how it should be. But several car makers had the drivers side blade sweeping flat to the bottom of the windscreen instead on some models, leaving a blind spot on the top and right of the screen. The early Marinas actually had the correct pattern, but adopted the other pattern soon in its life. "Motoring Which" a publication from the Consumers Association took this up with British Leyland, the explanation they gave was it helped stop the wipers lifting off the screen at higher speeds. BL wasn't them only offender, most Triumph saloon cars (before it was part of BL), and the Hillman Hunter also did the same thing. Export lhd versions also had the drivers side blade sweeping the "wrong" way for the driver.
Many imported cars were sold in this country without the wipers set for rhd at the time, most Renault cars, the Peugeot 504, Volvos, and probably the worst offender, the BMW 1602/2002 are some I can think of in a hurry.

Roger.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ooh, those have a certain appeal. One of those strange mash ups that made sense at a particular time and place; the Maserati engined Citroen DS is a similar sort of idea. Totally different cars obviously, but arguably the same commercial logic
There is a version with the Austin 3 litre engine in it but it wasn't powerful or smooth enough to compete with the big Jaguars although it was a match for the Rover, Rolls Royce just happened to have this military engine and the Vandem Plas coachworks had a long term link to them from the early days when the Rolls Royce cars were supplied running chassis only and you chose whom built the coachwork.

There is a visible difference though, the 3 Litre has vertical tail lights on the rear wing whilst the 4 litre has them flat along the bottom of the boot lid.

EDIT, - 3 litre,

vanden-plas-princess-3-litre_17866.jpg

and the far better looking 4 litre

Vanden-Plas_Princess_4-litre_R_rear.jpg

Note also how the rear wings are in line with the doors on the big un and the boot is different too. :becool:

Last edited:

MarkF

Guru
My day off today, decided to take the (1992 MK1) MX5 out for a spin.....gutted! There must have been a drip from my MIL's concrete panelled garage roof, the (was mint) car now has a 2" white circle on the bonnet with a 1/2" wide 7" long run off to the wing edge, gone right through.:sad:

MarkF

Guru
Has it burnt the paint?
Yeah, polish & T-cut makes no difference at all. It's a bummer, if I get it blown over it might not match.... but I can see it in front of me when driving. :wacko:

A few from this weeks commute

Attachments

• 20200603_162018.jpg
    20200603_162018.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200531_182602.jpg
    20200531_182602.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200531_182822.jpg
    20200531_182822.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200603_100009.jpg
    20200603_100009.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200603_163948.jpg
    20200603_163948.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200531_182319.jpg
    20200531_182319.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 2
The morris marina had them
View attachment 519778

When I was a kid a neighbour had the saloon, his brother the coupe, & his f-I-l the estate
All were in Sahara Beige (what Land Rover later adapted as the Camel Trophy colour)

Oh, & a few years ago 'Practical Classics' did a Dukes Of Hazzard' skit, with a 'big-block' (1.8TC) Marina...……....:wacko:
Scanned (quite a while ago) from the magazine

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Triumph Stag

B&M car-park
Wakefield Road (A645)
Featherstone

Apparently it's there a lot, it may be a staff-members
View attachment 530151

View attachment 530152
When I was in the Army I spend some time on a training cadre at Oxford. One of the other guys there had a Stag, albeit a Rover V8 engined conversion. Anyway, he gave a few of us a lift home in his Stag and including the driver and the 2 smallest lads in the boot we managed to fit 7 inside.

Top Bottom