One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The morris marina had them
1588530008019.png

the allegro used them and the landrover discovery

View attachment 519628

The Discovery (200Tdi shape; 89-94) also used Maestro van back lights, & (I believe) Sherpa front lights, & plus the instrument pack from the Montego
300Tdi (94-99) used headlamps from ??

The 300Tdi shape shared the 'run out' Range Rover dash (the last of the 'real' Rangies), which in the 'RR' was known as the soft-dash
Same mould/materials, just different colours
The same heater/air-con controls too, but Discoverys had a digital clock, I replaced mine with the RR anologue, as it looked better

Last edited:

rustyroger

One from across the pond. 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. Chrysler Corporations last hurrah for old fashioned V8 rwd "traditional" American iron. The Chrysler version is quite rare, it's lower priced siblings, the Dodge Diplomat and Plymouth Fury sold in fairly healthy numbers to taxi drivers and police forces.

rustyroger

Ubiquitous alright! They must have made a fair few of those handles, I wonder if the excellent Morris Ital had them?
They were a staple of the BL range. Many models shared components. The Triumph Dolomite share its back axle with the Marina, The Austin Maxi and Austin/Morris 1800 had the same doors. Lucas 7" sealed beam headlights were supplied to a large majority of British car makers. The XJ6 Jaguars had the same points as the Morris Minor.

rustyroger

The morris marina had them
View attachment 519778
Is this a left hand drive imported back to the UK? It certainly looks like a British registration of the right year. But the wipers are set for lhd models.

rustyroger

I think it was just an indication of how crap BL had become. I owned two Marinas (Yeah I know, should have known...) and the first one had the wipers set the wrong way round.
They weren't all bad. The 1.8 models were quite rapid for their class, and fairly economical too. Their biggest problem was terrible quality control from the factory, not that Ford, Vauxhall, or Hillman were much better. However they were often a good secondhand buy. By the time they were a couple of years old the faults they left the factory with were mostly fixed, and they were very easy to work on. Neglecting to grease the front suspension every service was asking for trouble though!.

Roger.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I think it was just an indication of how crap BL had become. I owned two Marinas (Yeah I know, should have known...) and the first one had the wipers set the wrong way round.

My ex-wife's Golf had the wipers the wrong way round. And back the Vdubs were considered well built

D

Deleted member 26715

They weren't all bad. The 1.8 models were quite rapid for their class, and fairly economical too.
My dad had a 1976 1.8 Marina, we have a test for all cars there is a t junction close to where we live, about 1/4 mile down the road is a hump. the test is how fast you go over the hump, the Marina hit the hump at 80mph there are other cars we've had couldn't get up tp that speed.

MarkF

Guru
View attachment 524895

One from across the pond. 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue. Chrysler Corporations last hurrah for old fashioned V8 rwd "traditional" American iron. The Chrysler version is quite rare, it's lower priced siblings, the Dodge Diplomat and Plymouth Fury sold in fairly healthy numbers to taxi drivers and police forces.
I love the headlight assemblies and the mirrors, the bumper must weigh a ton!

Top Bottom