One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
One of colleagues spent 8 years getting his Stag tidied and on the road. He called me early one Saturday morning as I waited for him to arrive at work, the accelerator pedal had gotten stuck under the carpet, clutch depressed and bits of V8 all over the road. He managed to coast to safety which is good. After borrowing my engine hoist he has rebuilt the lump, and it was started last week, so hopefully back on the road soon.

D

Deleted member 26715

Always wanted a Stag they are so elegant, but they seem to have rocketed in price in the last few years

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Always wanted a Stag they are so elegant, but they seem to have rocketed in price in the last few years

They were, and still are, lovely. A mate's got one which he totally rebuilt. It still has the original if flawed engine rather than a V8 buick or V6 ford. Seems that 40+ years of enthusiasts have worked out how to keep them running.

One of the problems with it is people pulling out in front of him or trying to zoom past and push in. They seem to equate the car with grandad dawdling in a morris minor, rather than gentleman enthusiast (albeit not young) in a 3litre sports car - which is on a par with a modern hot hatch for speed. Albeit if you try and corner like a modern hot hatch you'll likely end up facing the wrong way

Last edited:

rustyroger

A major part of many Triumph offerings contemporary to the Stag was non-existent quality control. Casting sand left in engine blocks, swarf in the sump, as well as appalling paint finish were among the myriad of issues in the day.
It didn't help that the cylinder head was held on with five bolts perpendicular to the block, and five studs at a 45 degree angle...... Dolomite engines were similar, unsurprisingly head gasket issues were not unknown.
However the cars that survived have had their faults fixed by now, and the Stag is I think a very good looking car.

Roger.

MarkF

Guru
I still fancy a Rover 75, auto, leather, wood etc. I reckon that in not too long, good MK1's will zoom in value, I've had many similar oddball cars and known the same but have only ever been proved right after selling.:sad: I've been looking for months, something will come up, it always does but whilst waiting I keep my eye out on the V8's too, I cannot think of a more inappropriate car to do this to, it's a really personal style, how can you find a buyer with the same tastes? It'd be worth far more if he/she had never spent a penny on it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-260-V8/164246262161?hash=item263dd71191:g:jfoAAOSwJp1e58Fb

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A major part of many Triumph offerings contemporary to the Stag was non-existent quality control. Casting sand left in engine blocks, swarf in the sump, as well as appalling paint finish were among the myriad of issues in the day.
It didn't help that the cylinder head was held on with five bolts perpendicular to the block, and five studs at a 45 degree angle...... Dolomite engines were similar, unsurprisingly head gasket issues were not unknown.
However the cars that survived have had their faults fixed by now, and the Stag is I think a very good looking car.

Roger.
Same engine in the 1709/1850 SAAB, we had a 'puller kit' which bolted onto the exhaust/inlet manifold bolt holes with 5 (6?) big screws above the studs you wound down to get the bloody things off and don't mention the water pump driven by the jackshaft. Fitting the engine backwards didn't help either but at least the Clutch was easy to get at.

Wed 17th

Spotted on the road from the A1, to Waren Mill, Budle Bay (& Bamburgh)
Station Road (B1342)
Signs for Belford Industrial Estate (& before the site of Belford Station)

Lancia Beta Zagato, so it appears from a 'net search

Typing in 'Cheviot Classics' throws up as unsafe link (or similar phrasing on my laptop)

MarkF

Guru
I went to view a bike yesterday, the guy had an 80's Saab Turbo, a new Tesla and something in his yard, I could see the rear quarter of it & meant to have a look. But we had the bike on a workbench and I found a few issues with it, I didn't buy the bike and forgot about the car. It was a 1970's thing, sporty, brown and gold, what they called a "fastback" or "shooting brake" in the 1970's, awkward lines, I thought it was a Lotus but cant find anything that looks the same, not a Scimitar either, it's driving me bonkers.:wacko:

Last edited:
I went to view a bike yesterday, the guy had an 80's Saab Turbo, a new Tesla and something in his yard, I could see the rear quarter of it & meant to have a look. But we had the bike on a workbench and I found a few issues with it, I didn't buy the bike and forgot about the car. It was a 1970's thing, sporty, brown and gold, what they called a "fastback" or "shooting brake" in the 1970's, awkward lines, I thought it was a Lotus but cant find anything that looks the same, not a Scimitar either, it's driving me bonkers.:wacko:

Lotus Eclat?

Top Bottom