One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
That just goes to show what little vision Rover has/had that would have sold

The 75 was from BMW owned Rover. It proved to be a robust car with the diesel lasting many 100k's of miles whilst the 3/5 series of the same era with the same engine (minus some Rover tweeks) proved to be notoriously unreliable/fragile.

Gunk

Guru
What about this, gorgeous IMO, the bloke made a coupe too.

View attachment 534762

looks a bit like Mrs Gunks old Audi

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The 75 was from BMW owned Rover. It proved to be a robust car with the diesel lasting many 100k's of miles whilst the 3/5 series of the same era with the same engine (minus some Rover tweeks) proved to be notoriously unreliable/fragile.
Just looked at the tweaks, and it amounted to reasonably substantial re-engineering in partnership with Steyr. I'd always thought that they just took some stuff away (like swirl flaps), but clearly not.

Cavalol

Guru
75s are lovely things, would really like an early 'black sill' one.
I remember driving 75s through the auctions, they always seemed miles nicer cars than S or X Type Jags.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Now here's a rare Rover! P6 estate, must have been designed down the pub after six pints :laugh:
View attachment 534760

'kinell that's ugly, given the P6 is such an elegant and well proportioned vehicle. I once had a drive in a v8 P6 which my boss had just inherited from his grandad. Despite it being a but of a rusty old shed it really was a delight to drive.

MarkF

Guru
75s are lovely things, would really like an early 'black sill' one.
I remember driving 75s through the auctions, they always seemed miles nicer cars than S or X Type Jags.

Somebody offered me a Cowley "black sill" car yesterday, it was the rare ivory colour and pretty mint, he wanted what he'd paid for it (who doesn't?) £2900, but he'd paid that to a classic car dealer. £2k and I'd have bought it. I only want it to waft about for 2-3k miles a year but it's difficult to find the right engine/interior combination as people are hanging on to those cars.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I drove two Rover 75s - both hire cars. The first was a R75, mk1 from memory and I recall the footwell was so tight that I kicked the transmission tunnel with my left foot every time I took it off the clutch pedal. Some time later I had a MG ZT V6 and exactly the same thing happened. I also recall the engine making all the right noises but not really doing much in the performance area.

I sort of get their appeal, but not for me.

Top Bottom