One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A brace of 30s Morgan trikes farted through town earlier. One BRG and one powder blue.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
'Ullo John, got a Cortina?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
'Ullo John, got a Cortina?
View attachment 553405

My first car was a Mk2 Cortina, albeit the bottom of the range 1300. It had lain idle in our drive for 6 years and I fixed it up after passing my test. Started up fairly easily with minor fettling - new battery, plugs etc but then had to rebuild the brakes to get it through MOT. And then replace the gearbox which is why it was laid up in the first place. Did more miles in it than my dad did originally. I don't covet another one, but enjoyed driving it with its predictable if limited handling. I simply got accustomed to a bit of slip sliding opposite lock low speed driving. Fine with the Cortina as you had loads of time to sort it out as you'd not be going at all fast. Dead easy to work on and it never really let me down either

Drago

Legendary Member
One of my earliest motoring memories was my Dad's 1600E. Indeed, the oldest photo if myself is as a sprog sat on the bonnet.

Where did the Cortina 1600E sit in the sales-target based pecking order of Cortina badges. I was always a bit confused as to how much respect was due to a 1600E driver.

gbb

Legendary Member
Where did the Cortina 1600E sit in the sales-target based pecking order of Cortina badges. I was always a bit confused as to how much respect was due to a 1600E driver.
Cant quite figure exactly what you mean but circa 1976 (I'd be 17) a friends older brother was earning good money and brought a 1600E...it drew admiration from us all, as much admiration as the Stag he also owned.

Gunk

Guru

You were probably the area sales manager, your sales team got “cooking” 1300 deluxes

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nicked from Wiki

The four-door Cortina 1600E, a higher trim version, was introduced at the Paris Motor Show in October 1967,[19] a year after the arrival of the Cortina Mark II. It combined the lowered suspension of the Cortina Lotus with the high-tune GT 1600 Kent engine and luxury trim featuring a burr walnut woodgrain-trimmed dashboard and door cappings, bucket seating, leather-clad aluminium sports steering wheel, and full instrumentation inside, while a black grille, tail panel, front fog lights, and plated Rostyle wheels on radial tyres featured outside.[15] According to author and Cortina expert Graham Robson, the 1600E would be the first Cortina recognized as a classic.[

Top Bottom