One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I was thinking more like owners' clubs, enthusiast groups, archives, that sort of thing... Someone out there will know something.

I am trying to figure out why the Lotus engine to replace a Pinto, the 2.3 MK5 would make a nice investment now, even more so if it was the GT.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I don't have any pictures of the cars I had when I was young. But did a few scans of my parents photo's.

My brother and I, with my grandad and my 4 cousins. 1973/74 at a guess so the car was old, my Uncle's Anglia. If you did this on a modern car I'm sure you'd just sink into it and put a loads of dents in it. They don't build them like they used to.

Ford Anglia.jpg

My brother and I, my grandparents and my mother. My dad was taking the picture. 6 of us in a rented Fiat 124 no aircon, vinyl seats that got red hot, in Majorca about 75 maybe 76. My dad was one of the first to have the Russian copy of the Fiat 124, so I guess he liked them. He bought a brand new racing green Lada 1200 in 1974, JA0 76N.
Fiat 124.jpg

My mother, I think before I was born with my dad's car. Think it's an Austin A35, but I might be wrong.

Austin A35.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I don't have any pictures of the cars I had when I was young. But did a few scans of my parents photo's.

My brother and I, with my grandad and my 4 cousins. 1973/74 at a guess so the car was old, my Uncle's Anglia. If you did this on a modern car I'm sure you'd just sink into it and put a loads of dents in it. They don't build them like they used to.

View attachment 554182

My brother and I, my grandparents and my mother. My dad was taking the picture. 6 of us in a rented Fiat 124 no aircon, vinyl seats that got red hot, in Majorca about 75 maybe 76. My dad was one of the first to have the Russian copy of the Fiat 124, so I guess he liked them. He bought a brand new racing green Lada 1200 in 1974, JA0 76N.
View attachment 554183

My mother, I think before I was born with my dad's car. Think it's an Austin A35, but I might be wrong.

View attachment 554184
Nice cars the A30 and A35, same engine as the Mini Cooper.

View: https://youtu.be/zgYncyHvJ-E

Drago

Legendary Member
Back in the early eighties I had a rare beast.

A Mk 4 Cortina S Mexico. Bought it off someone who worked for Ford. I can't find any history or info on it when I google it, only the 2.3S comes up.

Fitted with the Mexico engine, alloys, full sports pack, short range gear shift etc. yet didn't look too different from an ordinary Cortina apart from the wheels and the S on the back.

Always remember taking it to have an exhaust fitted. Told the fitter what it was, " nah, that's just a Cortina" until they opened the bonnet. :smile:
A lot of Cortina's that were being bought by production line workers had some interesting specs. Apparently it wasn't unisual for these cars to go through the paint shop two or three times to get an extra deep finish.

stephec

Legendary Member

View attachment 554182

View attachment 554183

View attachment 554184
Ding dong, your mum was a rather lovely looking lady.

tyred

Legendary Member
Two from my walk early this morning which I see regularly.

It wasn't Ford's finest hour but it's a genuinely very rare survivor of a once common sight and "young" classic with great bike carrying potential.

And a little bit of '80s three-box retro from when BMW made interesting cars. Only a basic 316 though.

Two from my walk early this morning which I see regularly.

It wasn't Ford's finest hour but it's a genuinely very rare survivor of a once common sight and "young" classic with great bike carrying potential.
View attachment 555963

And a little bit of '80s three-box retro from when BMW made interesting cars. Only a basic 316 though.
View attachment 555965
316, yes please, 325i ooh me goodness!
Always luved the Delta GT i.e too

tyred

Legendary Member
There is also a Triumph 20000 estate, a very early model Austin Metro, a late 1980s Toyota Corolla, (it must have been a Jap import as it is different from the Corolla I remember from that period), an early '80s Range Rover, a mid 1980s Nissan Sunny and a Renault 11 seen on the roads around here quite regularly. I must try and get photos.

Top Bottom