One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
“2T” supposedly comes from the German “zwei takter“, literally two strokes.

Reactions: gbb

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
A sound I remember well. Percy Shepherd (small haulage co) had them in my local village Flintham in the 70s, used them for beet transport among other stuff. Deafening. I note the driver in the video is wearing earplugs .
My memory goes back to the 60’s . The local brewery Benskins of Watford ran a fleet of commer 2 strokes
As a child I was fascinated by the way they sounded so different to other lorries.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

DRM

Guru
Some Commer trucks in the late 60s easily 70s had 2 stroke engines (why do they denote it 2T ?) and the howl was a good description of the row that emanated from them. No wonder if any drivers were deaf as posts.
According to my dad, those 2 stroke Commers were very good for making sure nobody was up late for work, as if you turned the engine off then back on again while driving it, the resulting back fire could raise the dead

DRM

Guru
A sound I remember well. Percy Shepherd (small haulage co) had them in my local village Flintham in the 70s, used them for beet transport among other stuff. Deafening. I note the driver in the video is wearing earplugs .
Bl**dy hell, my Dad used to drive one of those, would have been in the early 60's, apparently with a regular run from Leeds to South Shields, :wacko: I'm amazed he can still hear anything!!!

gbb

Legendary Member
According to my dad, those 2 stroke Commers were very good for making sure nobody was up late for work, as if you turned the engine off then back on again while driving it, the resulting back fire could raise the dead
:blush:. I used to work in a coal surveying crew, driving Landrovers. Someone figured, switch the key off as if to kill the engine, turn the key back just before it actually stopped turning...boom. Unignited fuel would backfire tremendously.

Great fun until I split the rear exhaust box doing it, split it open like a bean can. Works mechanics words were something like...
:wacko: wtf did you do to it ????? :angry:

FF6E61DB-EAD9-4D02-9026-D75F1D40302E.jpeg

Not around any more, but I had some great times in this.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
View attachment 565587
Not around any more, but I had some great times in this.
Got one in the garage:smile:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
YAY! I wish I still had mine, do you use it, and is it a black 2.8i? 😃
I did use it, took to the 50th Capri bash at Brooklands last year. Off the road ATM with bits missing whilst I weld the inevitable tin worm. Budget didn't make it to a 2.8, it's a tatty 1600 Laser, with a 2l pinto being built to drop in, short term. Long term plan is a V8, Windsor 302 if I get the pennies together..

Long term plan is a V8, Windsor 302 if I get the pennies together..
Nice!
Mine was the 2.8i.
I parked in a seafront car park once, and a Brooklands 280 pulled alongside, with an elderly gent driving. We waved and stepped out to speak.
He admired mine, I his (ooeer!), and he told me who he was. It turned out he was an ex-Spitfire Pilot, named Cuff Miller, the owner of a local Ford dealer. We chatted for nearly an hour, such was my interest.
The dealer remains in Littlehampton, but he’s sadly no longer with us.

Top Bottom