One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Spotted this today, my folks had one of these for a bit in the early 80's, in exactly the same colour as this, if you can call it a colour. Its from the 70's so its beige, or in car salesman speak and in the brochure that's probably described as St Tropez sunset:laugh:.
View attachment 464339
We lived in rural Wales at the time, the car was I'd say amongst the first all-terrain MPV's and was way ahead of its time. It did the school run, could hold all the shopping you could do in it, you could drive across fields and the worst roads with trays of eggs without breaking any, you could raise the ride height to go through streams and deep snow. It was way ahead of its time, but I think the thing that amazed me most as a kid was that the headlights turned in the same direction as the wheels, so on dark country lanes it could actually see round corners^_^.

And here's a rare find I just snapped. What's this, an old Lancia that's not rusted away? I didn't recognise it so looked it up when I got home. Turns out its quite a rarity, a Lancia Flaminia GT Coupe Superleggera. Body work by Italian coach-builders Touring, it dates from around 1963, and is one of only 170 made, and the number still running must be tiny. Very stylish.
View attachment 464340
View attachment 464341

In the late 60's my Dad had the predecessor single headlight estate version. It was incredibly comfortable to be in. You just seemed waft along the road. Slightly bonkers inside though IIRC with a single spoke steering wheel, indicator in the centre of the dashboard and a brake pedal that looked like a large rubber button.

The hydropneumatic suspension also probably saved his life. He was coming to collect me from Luton airport and was doing 60 - 70 when he had a front tyre blow out. The suspension just corrected for the missing tyre allowing him to safely drive on to the hard shoulder, but even when he met me half an hour or so later he was still quite shaken by the experience.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Just seen an orange P reg Austin Allegro in our Tesco car park. Being used as a daily runabout.
44 years old and still going strong. :okay:

booze and cake

probably out cycling
In the late 60's my Dad had the predecessor single headlight estate version. It was incredibly comfortable to be in. You just seemed waft along the road. Slightly bonkers inside though IIRC with a single spoke steering wheel, indicator in the centre of the dashboard and a brake pedal that looked like a large rubber button.

The hydropneumatic suspension also probably saved his life. He was coming to collect me from Luton airport and was doing 60 - 70 when he had a front tyre blow out. The suspension just corrected for the missing tyre allowing him to safely drive on to the hard shoulder, but even when he met me half an hour or so later he was still quite shaken by the experience.

Yes the inside looked as bonkers as the outside, the suspension was also credited with saving Charles De Gaulle's life after an assassination attempt, and credit to him he never forgot it, and his love for the car helped save Citroen from being completely sold off to Fiat. https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/citroen-helps-de-gaulle-survive-assassination-attempt

If only the Austin Allegro had managed to save Mrs Thatch from an assassination attempt, maybe she'd have tried to help British Leyland more. Although I think it could be argued the Allegro did probably save her life, by virtue of the fact she didn't have one:laugh:

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
You just have to be very careful and be prepared to work on it yourself or you're staring down the barrel of big repair bills.

Rust is becoming an issue, I wouldn't entertain a 3000gt (UK).

To be fair mine has been hastle free, I've fitted a few clutches (drag racing related), and unfortunately lost an engine due to being greedy with Nitrous. Both my own fault!.

Was considering selling it but my lad (12) said he'd like to do a few car shows this year. Plus I've got over 14 years of memories with it!.

Put a "normal" clutch back in to make it road friendly, just needs MOT.

Our Kuga's nearly bankrupted me this year, luckily I had all the bits "in stock" for the GTO.

They are going up in value now for a good one.

View attachment 464304

Yes it's good that your good at repairs. I've read about your Kuga, sounds like a terrible gearbox it has. I sometimes a red 3000gt around Whitehaven, Cumbria. The only one I've seen for years, and years. Lovely car, modern cars are so boring, I would like a GT86 though..

D

Deleted member 26715

Drive all 3 and you soon understand ^_^
I have but still don't the MR2 will rung rings round the other 2

booze and cake

probably out cycling
A couple of classics I saw out in the wild today. Always loved these, a wolf in sheeps clothing, Lancia Delta Integrale.
oheBJUe.jpg

And a wolf in wolf's clothing. These must be worth a fortune these days, so I guess driving it around London is nerve shredding. Porsche 959, with plate to match. I left it for dead on my single speed.^_^
2JpMK1W.jpg

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
A couple of classics I saw out in the wild today. Always loved these, a wolf in sheeps clothing, Lancia Delta Integrale.
View attachment 464839
And a wolf in wolf's clothing. These must be worth a fortune these days, so I guess driving it around London is nerve shredding. Porsche 959, with plate to match. I left it for dead on my single speed.^_^
View attachment 464840

Just watched an old Car SOS tonight, doing up a 1994 yellow Integrale Evo 2 for a guy that unfortunately died during the restoration process. It's the only car show I can really get away with these days. Lovely car though. This one was truly rotten everywhere, looked stunning when finished though.

Top Bottom