One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srj10

Guru
Austin Cambridge

My dads first car, when he could afford one (aged about 30 - 31)

raleighnut

Legendary Member
A mate had an Oxford; a bit of a rusty old shed but it was quite a stately carriage to ride in. Other mates had the more luxury finished Wolsley and Riley versions which were genuinely quite nice
Whereas my Dad had the Vandem Plas version with the 4 litre Rolls Royce engine, Leather and Walnut Interior and a thirst for petrol like a drunk on pay day.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy

Two from July and August last year. The Ford was tucked behind a hedge near Sandy Bedfordshire and the two Triumphs are near Hemel Hempstead. I‘m sure there are some on the forum who can identify the exact models, and the registration plates on the triumphs.

tamiya

tamiya

As a late teen I used to hitch hike a lot, I got a lift in a Jensen Healey. I seem to remember it wasnt a great place to be, kinda basic. Lovely looking car but....

JH when new was priced double that of MGB but cheaper than a Jag. It's no midget, definitely a lot more spacious than a B in cabin & boot. Interior fittings more 70s than B 60s.

Lotus engine is a ripper and in no slouch Mk2 guise with Getrag 5spd close ratio box... love that dogleg first.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whereas my Dad had the Vandem Plas version with the 4 litre Rolls Royce engine, Leather and Walnut Interior and a thirst for petrol like a drunk on pay day.

Whilst I always rather liked those, I don't think I could bring myself to buy something with an automatic gearbox. I read that they were built up to a price target - something related to tax on company vehicles - and the only way of making it expensive enough was to add the Rolls-Royce engine.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Whilst I always rather liked those, I don't think I could bring myself to buy something with an automatic gearbox. I read that they were built up to a price target - something related to tax on company vehicles - and the only way of making it expensive enough was to add the Rolls-Royce engine.
That's possible but the coachwork would have cost a packet, it was built really to take on Rover Mercedes and Jaguar in the 'luxury saloon' class and for a 2 ton car it was plenty fast enough (120+mph*) and the interior was much nicer (grey Leather seats and Wilton carpets with half inch thick underlay and the 2 fold down tables on the back of the front seats.

* That was when my Uncle had it, he loved powerful fast cars, he sold it to my Dad when he'd bought a 2nd hand Mercedes with the 6.3 litre V12.

Goggs

Guru
View attachment 543456

View attachment 543458

Two from July and August last year. The Ford was tucked behind a hedge near Sandy Bedfordshire and the two Triumphs are near Hemel Hempstead. I‘m sure there are some on the forum who can identify the exact models, and the registration plates on the triumphs.

It might be a coincidence but I'm pretty sure I saw those exact same Triumphs a few months ago sitting outside Boulanger in Avignon. They're Dutch.

Top Bottom