One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
And in complete contrast was this monstrosity

Attachments

• 16854540-816F-4230-9E2B-806B1A93A6D6.jpeg
    16854540-816F-4230-9E2B-806B1A93A6D6.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BFBA4A52-3F01-4F27-9254-B7321A303EDC.jpeg
    BFBA4A52-3F01-4F27-9254-B7321A303EDC.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 8
A K plate is early 90s I think, '92 or '93. Looks about right for that kind of date.

As for the other... I like GT cars, but I guess that's a classic (!) case of money not conferring taste.

CharlesF

Guru
A K plate is early 90s I think, '92 or '93. Looks about right for that kind of date.

As for the other... I like GT cars, but I guess that's a classic (!) case of money not conferring taste.
Thanks, I didn’t realise it was that late. The Lambo was for contrast only, an abomination in my eyes.

Drago

Legendary Member
Correct. The biggest ones - two-stroke diesels that power container ships and tankers - are all inline. I work on the oils that lubricate them (and the smaller - but still huge - four-stroke diesels in things like ferries, cruise ships etc). The 4T engines can be inline or vee. Obviously the inlines have very large crankshafts but flex is still an issue, especially since they are direct-drive straight to the propeller.
Fantastic! How direct is the drive? Straight off the end of the crank to the screw, or is their any kind of gearbox or reductuon gear sustem?

DRM

Guru
Talking of maritime things and engines, many years ago we went on a pleasure boat trip out of Whitby harbour, on the old lifeboat which I think dated from the thirties, the profits went to support the lifeboat and crew, as we went out of the harbour the new lifeboat went out at the same time, the captain of the boat we were on explained that the boat at the side of us was their brand new one and was undergoing final sea trials before taking over from the then current lifeboat, he was also a member of the lifeboat crew and explained that the new boat was unbelievably fast, and said as soon as they were a certain distance from the harbour the crew would open it up, and it will be out of sight in no time, which is exactly what happened, with a huge roar it reared up and was gone, when asked what powered it he said it had 2x V10 MAN truck diesels in it and the engineer from MAN was onboard doing the final tune up on it before being commissioned

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fantastic! How direct is the drive? Straight off the end of the crank to the screw, or is their any kind of gearbox or reductuon gear sustem?
AFAIK the 2 stroke engines are direct drive, a 2 stroke doesn't care which way the crank is turning as long as the piston is going up and down so that's how they reverse them. This can happen with 2 stroke motorbikes sometimes as I saw once when my mates old half knackered MZ kicked back once, coughed and then ran albeit a bit roughly (but it always sounded like a bag of nails anyway) He attempted to leave the pub car park and was dismayed when it shot backwards into the beer garden.
Strangely the Messerschmitt KR200 3 wheel 'bubble car used this as it's reversing gear, there's a switch on the 'dashboard' that changes the timing and runs the starter backwards.

View: https://youtu.be/k71NmCJfvfo

I'd love one but £20,000 is a bit much

Top Bottom