One For Classic Car Fans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Ah yes, they don't half stop suddenly when you press the clutch !
I did that in my 40s, when we bought the XKR :blush::blush:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
A car like that doesn't really need a servo. My '68 Cortina didn't have one and a good stomp on the pedal would lock the wheels up on a dry road if required, and that's on much better tyres than it came with from the factory. You can't brake any harder after all. Also I recall my driving instructor had replaced his car (maybe Chevette?) with a newer model whilst I was learning to drive - stood the new on on its nose first outing as the new one had a servo. Anyhow, servo'd brakes don't stop any quicker but you don't have to press as hard

My first car, a VW Polo, had no servo on the brakes.

Similar problem whilst driving a colleagues car around a camp site. Just doing 5 mph, but still managed to lock up the wheels when I stamped on the brakes.

Scottish Scrutineer

Über Member
As an aside, my first experience with air brakes was a bit of a shock. Hired a 7.5 tonner to move some stuff, since, being old, my licence covers such vehicles - presumably our test was a lot stricter :-). I pressed the brakes and there was no resistance at all but there was at least a half second delay, so you press down further, then the brakes jam on hard. You had to learn to decide if you wanted slight braking, medium or full-on, then press the pedal accordingly and wait until something happens

The Leyland Terrier 7.5T was the worst for braking. It had a power-assisted hydraulic system. The brake pedal seemed to have no travel on it and behaved more like a switch at low speeds; no braking, or full braking, with little discernible movement of the pedal required.
Period road test article http://archive.commercialmotor.com/article/30th-april-1971/44/leyland-redline-terrier-85tongross

Badger_Boom

Über Member
Some lucky blighter was taking delivery of this first thing today. Nice race prepared Midget.
EDBC8A63-3682-4D24-BA40-2172AA73CCF2.jpeg

Saturday 2nd

I dragged the BWSOW down to Newark-on-Trent, so I could go to Truckfest
It would have been 'we', but wife decided due to the rain, she'd stay warm & dry, in the 'van

I saw this through a chain-link fencing, adjacent to the parking
I'm not sure if it's a large auction storage site?

Going by the hub-caps, a 250, or similar smaller engined model?
The only M-B sports car, I even partially liked since the 300SL 'Gull-Wing', or the 'Pagoda' roof models

@Richard A Thackeray You certainly spot interesting vehicles.
@CharlesF
I try to keep my eyes open
One was parked there, for a long time, with the 4-Runner, then the other one appeared

I also saw, at a second-hand car compound (but no photo), a Fiesta mk2, at £5000:eek:
It looked like a Popular, or other base model
At that price, it's either a 'timewarp'/barnfind, or a nut & bolt restoration???

EDIT @ 20:32

https://www.bthmotors.com/used-ford-fiesta-castleford-west-yorkshire-3776315

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
The specific tax fiddle was that you could have a van as a company car and the taxable benefit was a flat rate of £500 a year - which was perhaps fair enough for a transit or astramax, but there was also a market for van-ized Discoveries for one-man-band companies giving themselves £30k discos out of pre tax income. The big 4x4 luxury crew cab pick ups had the same motivation
‘Twins’!

Wednesday 13th

Personally, l wouldn’t call them classics, but this is the only thread close enough to use

View attachment 613488

Mitsubishi Delicias

Gladstone Street
Normanton
Wakefield

Essentially, a Shogun, under the skin
(as far as l understand)
Close, about 90% of an L200's chassis and underpinnings modified into some kind of weird semi monocoque with a people carrier body atop, amd L200/Pajero drivetrains. Good ones can fetch tidy money these days,

Top Bottom