One for t Yorkshire Folk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

As a lad back in Leeds there was a word used as a time out in tag games that I decided was phaonites, simply because it sounded a bit like pharaohs. I think it's usually spelled something more like ''fainites'' in written down language. I've never heard it once in London but I was surprised to hear people in the primary school playground shouting ''pax'' to the same effect. Sadly, kali (again, I don't know how it was spelled - it wasn't a written down word but it was pronounced like K-Lie) also went downmarket and became sherbet. Then I noticed cobbled streets down here which I'd never seen before and decided that London was definitely behind the times as well as downmarket.
Phaonites/fainites is not familiar, for us it was tig, or tiggy your on, K-lie for sherbert is,

D

Deleted member 26715

I'll counter your Brenden Cocker with

Oldfentiger

Veteran
As a lad back in Leeds there was a word used as a time out in tag games that I decided was phaonites, simply because it sounded a bit like pharaohs. I think it's usually spelled something more like ''fainites'' in written down language. I've never heard it once in London but I was surprised to hear people in the primary school playground shouting ''pax'' to the same effect. Sadly, kali (again, I don't know how it was spelled - it wasn't a written down word but it was pronounced like K-Lie) also went downmarket and became sherbet. Then I noticed cobbled streets down here which I'd never seen before and decided that London was definitely behind the times as well as downmarket.

Time out in tag games??
Pax??

Bunch o' northern pansies.
Never had such a thing in the Fens. If you were knackered you got trampled.

Spot on!

@classic33 I meant the south of the Yorkshire empire
The 'Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire'?

Have we mentioned t'Olympics yet? :whistle:

If Yorkshire had been a country, at the 2012 Olympics, it would have ranked 11th in the medal tables
yorkshire-olympic-medal-table-090812.jpg

Y can all as tell a posh lass frum Barnsley. Er tattoos r spelt reet tha noz .
Posh...… Barnsley?
Unless it's Cawthorne?

Aye, West West Riding differes to East West Riding and Southern West Riding.

A few years ago, I'd been riding in the Holme area. maybe around Hade Edge, got a bit lost, stopped to ask an old chap directions
I had to listen very carefully due to his local dialect

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Having read the wonderful work of Iona and Peter Opie I thought Fainites was a southern word, with Yorkshire being a Kings or Barley area. However, it seems that things aren't as simple as they were. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truce_term gives more information.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Having read the wonderful work of Iona and Peter Opie I thought Fainites was a southern word, with Yorkshire being a Kings or Barley area. However, it seems that things aren't as simple as they were. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truce_term gives more information.
We used fainites in Brighton in the 50s and 60s. Maybe they still do but I'm barred from playgrounds ...:ohmy:

I never saw it written and I always thought it was vainites.

Top Bottom