One inch socket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I had to change my rear cassette recently, so bought a lock ring tool and a torque wrench.

The lock ring tool fits a one inch socket. Could I find one anywhere? No.
I ended up having to use a 27mm socket, which is not ideal as it fits quite loosely. It does turn it and I was able to successfully change the cassette, but it's not ideal - I'm sure that it will damage the lock ring tool after only a few uses.

So where the hell can I get a one inch socket from? B&Q only has metric above ¾". Google has drawn a blank.

Cheers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
why don't you use an adjustable wrench if you have one?

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got a 1" socket as part of a cheapo set years ago. Used it yesterday in fact, on an unusual design of old BB - the left cup had a raised 1" hex on it.

But it would be probably cheaper to buy a lockring tool with a 1/2" square drive than a special socket !

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
you don't need a torque wrench to tighten a cassette lock nut.

Well, it says tighten to 50Nm, and I have no idea how tight that is by hand. I suppose I could get a 50cm pipe, slip it over the spanner, and then stand on it (I'm c. 100kg) but I thought a torque wrench would be more accurate.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I got a 1" socket as part of a cheapo set years ago. Used it yesterday in fact, on an unusual design of old BB - the left cup had a raised 1" hex on it.

But it would be probably cheaper to buy a lockring tool with a 1/2" square drive than a special socket !

Too late, the lockring tool is already purchased!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well, it says tighten to 50Nm, and I have no idea how tight that is by hand. I suppose I could get a 50cm pipe, slip it over the spanner, and then stand on it (I'm c. 100kg) but I thought a torque wrench would be more accurate.

Seriously. don't waste your money. 50nm is quite a force. You sure know when a lock ring is tight enough. Certainly no need for extra expense.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Seriously. don't waste your money. 50nm is quite a force. You sure know when a lock ring is tight enough. Certainly no need for extra expense.

Thanks, but it's entirely too late. The torque wrench is already bought and used. It wasn't very expensive though, c.£25 I think.

gbb

Legendary Member
Carboot sale...there's millions of imperial sockets that no-one uses any more, i always see them at bootsales. You'd expect to pay 50p for one. Sods law says of course, the minute you go to one, there won't be any there :whistle:

Davidc

Guru
I still have the one from my old imperial set. I kept the lot and find several useful for different jobs, so try to get one at a boot sale.

I agree with ianrauk. I don't own a torque wrench and have done just about every job there is on a bike without one.

I've never had any problem with cassette lockrings tightened until I can't comfortably go tighter with a 9" bar. I can also get them off again from that tightness. If you're paranoid about it though I'd have thought Halfords cheapest would do the job.

Top Bottom