Recommended Bag for One-day tour (overnight stay)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm off to Derbyshire with my son and some other people from his cycle club. Plan is to head up there one day. The rest are heading back the next, but we might do some cycle routes up there, and head back on the train.

I've never done any cycle touring before in my life. Original plan was to use a rucksack, but given his efforts on the last event that we did (50 miles in 3 hrs 22), I'm concerned that this will slow me down to much, so we will probably need some proper bikepacking equipment.

Currently looking at something like this :Saddle Bag. Is 11l sufficient for one overnight stay for one adult, 1 child? What else would you recommend? Any experience?

Just need a warm, comfortable feeling that I am doing the right thing, whatever that is.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Rucksack not a good idea unless you want a sweaty back. A frame bag might be the best solution which should give you sufficient space for overnight. You won't need much beyond the basics.
The bag you linked would probably be okay but compare capacities/price with others.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
You've not said what you need to carry? Are you staying in a hotel/B&B or camping? It all depends on your overnight plans really. If staying in accommodation then toothbrushes and a spare pair of undies will suffice, along with waterproofs and a spare warm top. If that's the case then a small bag like the one linked to is probably more than sufficient. If your planning on camping then there is no way that 11 litres will be sufficient.

If you already own a rucksack, then pack it with the kit that you intend carrying on the trip and then you'll get an idea of the amount of litres capacity that you might need.

Also be aware that saddle bags like the one pictured need a lot of exposed seatpost on your frame. I have a semi compact frame and only 11cm of exposed seatpost, so the pack that you've linked to would never fit my frame.

OP
OP
BrumJim

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Staying in a Youth Hostel, end of May / first day of June. Thinking of wash kit, underwear plus one change of clothes. Shoes will be the biggest item.

Staying in a Youth Hostel, end of May / first day of June. Thinking of wash kit, underwear plus one change of clothes. Shoes will be the biggest item.

Shoes are a horrendous space+weight penalty! Assuming your cycling shoes aren't walkable, and you need to go outside (YHAs are usually sock-friendly):
I'd recommend flip-flops, or something similar; you can then hang these off the back/side of luggage.

As for space required; do a test-pack of all the stuff you "need" over-and-above your day-ride pack.

On my first tour I bunjied my daysack to the rear rack. Any 20-25l bag will do.
Shoes is the big item on an overnight.
Microfleece towels save a lot of space.
If you dont have a rear rack a tight roll can be strapped to your sestpost.
The best luggage for a YHA overnighter is still a saddlebag. Bar bags are useful as map and snack holders.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Maybe an appeal to members of your son’s cycle club or forum members in your area for a loan of a bag .

He didn't say it was YHA overnighter @MichaelW2 . Don't think maybe people would stand the farting and snoring, or is it all different now?

A) He did indeed. (2nd post, not first)
B) eh? YHA is still in business - and if nobody was staying there, there'd be no-one to fart or snore!!! :P

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm off to Derbyshire with my son and some other people from his cycle club. Plan is to head up there one day. The rest are heading back the next, but we might do some cycle routes up there, and head back on the train.

I've never done any cycle touring before in my life. Original plan was to use a rucksack, but given his efforts on the last event that we did (50 miles in 3 hrs 22), I'm concerned that this will slow me down to much, so we will probably need some proper bikepacking equipment.

Currently looking at something like this :Saddle Bag. Is 11l sufficient for one overnight stay for one adult, 1 child? What else would you recommend? Any experience?

Just need a warm, comfortable feeling that I am doing the right thing, whatever that is.

you dont want anything too much bigger, as otherwise you'll be tempted to pack too much. maybe a frame bag too if you are packing for you and him. echo something like sliders as your only other footwear to cycling shoes, hopefully warm enough for just a pair of shorts and tshirt or light top for the evening. If not wear your clean baselayer underneath. defo take clean cycling shorts for day 2.

My Caradice Barley is 11 litres and fine for a couple nights hostelling.

I don't bother with shoes as I'm not going out, so just flip flops.

Top Bottom